84 CJ7- Hurricane or AMC

84 CJ7- Hurricane or AMC

cj7africa

Jeeper
Thanks
I have an 84 CJ7 that I bought new and drove across the Sahara Desert when I was young and foolish. (Now I am old and foolish) It needs a new carburetor and I don't know whether the engine (i4) is a GM hurricane/iron duke or an AMC. Does it matter in selecting the carburetor? And if it does, what is easy way to tell these engines apart?

I have an 84 CJ7 that I bought new and drove across the Sahara Desert when I was young and foolish. (Now I am old and foolish) It needs a new carburetor and I don't know whether the engine (i4) is a GM hurricane/iron duke or an AMC. Does it matter in selecting the carburetor? And if it does, what is easy way to tell these engines apart?

If stock, that would be an AMC 2.5.

Edit: It could matter in the carb selection as there may be different bolt patterns on the intake...not that they dont make adapters.

I bought it off the lot. I thought the GM engines were no longer used by 1984, but I am not sure, as another thread in this forum was about an 84 CJ7 that appeared to have the GM engine ("84 CJ7 with a hurricane?") Is there an easy way for an unskilled person to tell by looking at the engine? Thanks!

Snap us a pic. No way it would have come with the Huricane and I would doubt anyone would retrofit a 76hp motor into your CJ.

To add the Huricane 4-134 does not have an intake manifold, it is part of the head so you could ID this feature.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom