85 won't start!

85 won't start!

LuvMyCJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Stock 1985 CJ7
Hi all,

I'm new to Jeeps and the forum so please bear with me. On saturday, I installed a new choke pull off and a stock air cleaner. The old choke pull off was all "brown" and the old air cleaner was MIA. It started fine and I was able to drive it a little ways but then it cut off and wouldn't start back up. With help from a passerby, I pushed it in to a parking lot. I took off the air cleaner lid and she finally started and I made it to my destination without any more problems. 30 mins later, I couldn't get it to start again. After about 2 more hours, it started again but I only got a block before it cut off. I took the air cleaner all the way off but but still haven't been able to get it started again. Yesterday I changed the fuel filter because it was mentioned on a different forum as a potential problem. Thoughts, ideas and advice are all much appreciated!

Yes. After I installed the choke pull-off, but before I put on the air cleaner, I had to make a trip to an auto parts store. It went there and back home just fine.

Unless the air cleaner is hitting the choke lever, I'm pretty sure your pulloff is not adjusted correctly. You just cant slap one back on the carb, they have to be setup individually.

I'm looking for the instructions I posted a year a so ago on setting the pulloff up. :)

Unless the air cleaner is hitting the choke lever, I'm pretty sure your pulloff is not adjusted correctly. You just cant slap one back on the carb, they have to be setup individually.

I'm looking for the instructions I posted a year a so ago on setting the pulloff up. :)

Great! Thanks :eek:

Can't find the post so I'll post it again... :)

When the engine is hot, loosen the three little screws and rotate the black pulloff clockwise until the pulloff contacts the choke butterfly lever, backup one notch. Lock it down. Let the engine cool, depress the accelerator pedal and the pulloff should close the choke butterfly. Start the vehicle and if it's running rich, rotate back one notch on the pulloff.

To adjust the choke idle speed, you turn the idle screw in and out (on the idle up lever). Don't adjust the mixture adjustment screws.

Can't find the post so I'll post it again... :)

When the engine is hot, loosen the three little screws and rotate the black pulloff clockwise until the pulloff contacts the choke butterfly lever, backup one notch. Lock it down. Let the engine cool, depress the accelerator pedal and the pulloff should close the choke butterfly. Start the vehicle and if it's running rich, rotate back one notch on the pulloff.

To adjust the choke idle speed, you turn the idle screw in and out (on the udle up lever). Don't adjust the mixture adjustment screws.

I'm confused... we're talking about this right?!
96418.jpg

:dung:! Wrong carb!

I was talking about the heating coil on a MC2100.

Just to be sure, what carb is on the CJ? I know you list stock, but many things can get changes in 24 years or so... :)

:dung:! Wrong carb!

I was talking about the heating coil on a MC2100.

Just to be sure, what carb is on the CJ? I know you list stock, but many things can get changes in 24 years or so... :)

I think I was told that it's a rebuilt Carter-Webber.
photostream

Is a "Carter-Weber" an oxy-moron or just a contradiction in terms?

We may need a picture, How did you ask for the part?

I think I was told that it's a rebuilt Carter-Webber.
photostream

Is a "Carter-Weber" an oxy-moron or just a contradiction in terms?

We may need a picture, How did you ask for the part?

Hilarious! I totally thought those were two different animals. I looked up the part online at Napa based on my Jeep's info.

Last edited:
If that is what you told NAPA and you found a suitable place to bolt it on I would have to guess you had a Carter carburetor.
I still don’t quite have enough grasp of the situation to make a call but my first inclination is to replace the ignition control module. Do you have a spark at the plug if you pull the wire off and hold it close to the plug and turn it over??
I know this is changing tack a bit but unless you really messed something up when changing this vacuum motor I don’t see a good reason for a slow failure like this.:cool:

Hi all,

I'm new to Jeeps and the forum so please bear with me. On saturday, I installed a new choke pull off and a stock air cleaner. The old choke pull off was all "brown" and the old air cleaner was MIA. It started fine and I was able to drive it a little ways but then it cut off and wouldn't start back up. With help from a passerby, I pushed it in to a parking lot. I took off the air cleaner lid and she finally started and I made it to my destination without any more problems. 30 mins later, I couldn't get it to start again. After about 2 more hours, it started again but I only got a block before it cut off. I took the air cleaner all the way off but but still haven't been able to get it started again. Yesterday I changed the fuel filter because it was mentioned on a different forum as a potential problem. Thoughts, ideas and advice are all much appreciated!

I pulled the line to see if I was getting gas to the carb and I definitely am. Thought maybe I wasn't getting good spark so I changed the plugs and wires. I then checked to see if it was even getting spark and it wasn't. I have no clue where to look next!

you may not know where to look but you know where not to look. I think we can safely not worry about the carb for a while.
You need to check voltage from the red wire on the coil to ground with the switch in "run". If you have voltage you are good to the switch and you can look at the control module If you can remove it I believe you can take it to an auto parts store and have it checked. These things are known to fail and in some cases fail in a manor similar to what you have described.:cool:

I swapped the ICM for a new one and it still wouldn't start so I put the old one back on. Checked the rotor and it looked good. Swapped the ignition coil and it still wouldn't start! Checked to see if the rotor was spinning ok and it was. What should I check next?

check the pick up coil resistance. The pick up coil is in the distributer. The resistance between the two parallel holes in the distributer plug should be 400 to 800 ohms, across the pick up assembly, if not replace the pick up assembly. :cool:

My mom and I ran into one of her friends who knows a mechanic in need of some cash. Called him and he came out and tinkered with it. He tried the ignition control module again and lo and behold it worked! I don't know what he did but she works now! Thanks for all of your help.

quite possibly just not grounded well enough.

My mom and I ran into one of her friends who knows a mechanic in need of some cash. Called him and he came out and tinkered with it. He tried the ignition control module again and lo and behold it worked! I don't know what he did but she works now! Thanks for all of your help.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom