AC System Question

AC System Question

Coach

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 / 4.2 I-6 / Auto / Dana 30 / Dana 300 / AMC 20 / Hard Top
I have an '86 CJ7 with the factory AC unit in it. Right now, it doesn't seem to be cooling. My question is about the compressor under the hood, is there any reason I can't just take the belt off turning the compressor to save a little drag on the engine? I don't think that belt is turning anything else, but I want to be sure before I remove it.

Thanks for any help.

Coach

Hi Coach, unless the A/C clutch is "stuck" on, all your spinning is the back side of the A/C clutch, the drag should not be noticeable in power or MPG.

Although if its not working (A/C), there's no harm in removing the belt. The bearing in an A/C clutch can wear out, but its not common. The A/C compressor itself usually takes a dump before the clutch bearing does.

I don't want to drop much money into it, since this fall I'll be doing an engine swap and the AC system may go. I went all last summer without it and didn't mind much, since I take the top and doors off, plus I usually lay the windshield down.

I may they to check a few things before I take the belt off though, just to make sure it isn't an easy fix.

Thanks

If you decide to loose the AC let me know, we may do a little business.:cool:

Is there any way you can give me the way wiring to the unit is connected?

I have the unit, but it was removed before me so I want to re-install it. There are 5 wires and I am trying to get them re-installed correctly in the original way.

Is there any way you can give me the way wiring to the unit is connected?

I have the unit, but it was removed before me so I want to re-install it. There are 5 wires and I am trying to get them re-installed correctly in the original way.

If you tell me what you want, I can take any pictures you want of it. Might have you help me look for faults in mine in return.

Coach

If you tell me what you want, I can take any pictures you want of it. Might have you help me look for faults in mine in return.

Coach

That would be great, thanks!!

I am looking for the wiring from the back of the unit outward. I have two wires from the unit and then three from the blower motor.

Presume one goes ot the compressor, two go to power and ground and maybe one goes to the pressure switch. Dunno about the 5th, or which one goes where as they aren't all common colors.

Happy to assist in yours too.

-Paul

well if this loads correctly its a wiring diagram of a cj :D

The diagram worked, but I must be missing where the wires for the AC system are?

The diagram worked, but I must be missing where the wires for the AC system are?

I took some pictures while I had the unit dropped tonight putting the heater box back in. If you PM me your email address, I will send them to you.

Coach

I took some pictures while I had the unit dropped tonight putting the heater box back in. If you PM me your email address, I will send them to you.

Coach

I PM'd you my email.

Thanks again, Coach!

Coach
If you could attach them to this thread they would bennifit us all... ;)

If you could attach them to this thread they would bennifit us all... ;)

I will try, I took them on my phone, so it was easier to just email them for now. The next time I synch my phone, I will try to get them uploaded.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom