Adding a rollcage to fiberglass tub - Please Help!

Adding a rollcage to fiberglass tub - Please Help!

CiviJeep

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1960' Jeep CJ5
Welcome to my first major vehicle restoration project on my new ( 50 year old ) 1960 CJ5 ! I bought it from a guy who tore the old tub off, powdercoated the frame, did a great deal of engine work ( original I-4 engine w/ 40,000 miles ), put in some new seats and installed everything back in the tub.

I would certainly like to make this vehicle my daily driver, and this jeep will need some modifications. I'm not worried about adding the top and doors just yet (living in NE). First I want to add a rollcage to it for safety. These are the issues for which I'm seeking YOUR advice:

Rollcage on fiberglass tub - use frame tie in?
or mount straight to tub?
or reinforce rear wheel wells?

Second:
Which rollcage? I would really like to keep this jeep original. Shes a looker.

Third:
Not only is it a fiberglass tub, the previous owner powdercoated the entire floor of the tub. Will this make installation of a rollcage significantly more difficult? I heard the line-x guys have a solution that will take it off - should I use this at certain points for the installation?

I only have one photo of the jeep and will post it as soon as I can figure out how to.

First, how in the heck do you powdercoat a non metal tub?
second, roll bars in 1960 jeeps are not factory, it was in the 70s before they started coming with factory roll bars. the only exception to this is early Renegade packages, and no they did not make a Renegade package in 1960. So if you want that original look, lets just say prepare for a huge road rash if you ever flip it, however it leaves you open to add what ever cage you want.
Third, no matter what the finish is on the tub, putting a piece of rubber between the tub and foot of the roll cage is going be the trick to keep it from destroying the finish or even the tub.
now about that fiberglass tub, yes as you seem to have guessed, connecting to it is not going to be a good idea, I have seen a few tie in jobs that have cracked the tub. We do have a few members here with fiberglass tubs, and I will refer to them to tell you how they tied in roll cages. After all they would have first hand experience that I do not

you know, if the previous owner claims to have powder coated the frame, I would doubt that seriously as he claims to have powder coated fiberglass also.

Your doing good - a fifty year old is 1) hard to find and 2) never stock... Hey, we all work and modify them! :)

If the only thing done is a new tub - congrats! You have a great CJ! (I think Baja becomes onry after 4 in the morning!) :laugh:

A frame tie in will ruin that nice powder coated piece of steel and is really unnecessary unless you plan on putting the CJ on it's lid! I sure hope that is not the case! I have been upside down twice and the body mounts worked just fine. (Slow rolls)

Rollcage on fiberglass tub - use frame tie in?
or mount straight to tub?
or reinforce rear wheel wells?

Second:
Which rollcage? I would really like to keep this jeep original. Shes a looker.

Third:
Not only is it a fiberglass tub, the previous owner powdercoated the entire floor of the tub.

I'm with Baja, you can not powercoat fiberglass. I have no idea what the PO did.
As for the roll cage I'm sure it's going to have to be custom built.
If your not going to be offroading (for looks only) than you probally don't need to tie it to the frame.
If you plan on having it save your life than yes tie it to the frame. Most frberglass makers suggest tieing it to the frame.

You can powder coat anything, btw. As long as it'll withstand 400*F for about 15min.

As for a roll cage I'd tie into the frame, mounts come off the frame,
then use a plate with a rod that sticks up through the body, the roll cage
fits down over the rod like a sleeve, and uses a 2nd plate to sandwich to 2
together. Also use some sort of rubber mount between the two to minimize
vibrations into the body.

Check with bluetorch fab works, and Poison Spider, I believe they are making
weld up roll cage kits again, several other make cages also. Avoid the bolt
together cages, they're :dung:.

Myself, I would tie it into the frame even if only using it for a DD. Worse wreck I had in a Jeep was driving to work on the expressway and getting flipped over (story for a different thread).

If you don't want to ruin the powdercoat on the frame and are only using it for DD, may want to consider bolting the tie-ins thru the frame by drilling holes thru and adding a sleeve in the hole the bolt goes thru.

Agree fully on the rubber pads between the cage and the tub. The PO on my Jeep only had the cage bolted to the 'glass tub. Wore on it a bit. Added in the pads when I tied it to the frame.

Lets see some pics of this rig.

You can powder coat anything, btw. As long as it'll withstand 400*F for about 15min.
um how would you apply the electrostatic charge to fiberglass to apply the coating before it goes in the oven? :confused:

Revision ( I don't know s*** about terminology i guess)

Sorry guys, this is first vehicle I've done anything besides minor engine repairs to. I meant to say the frame was sandblasted and painted, and the entire tub has some kind of truck bed liner (line-x?) throughout. Although I simply wrote incorrectly about the frame, I didn't know there was a distinction between truck bed liner and powder coating(?) I'm a total newb when it comes to vehicle restoration - but hey, I'd rather start now (age 23) then never at all.

Thanks for the posts, It's nice to know there wasn't a rollbar option to the vehicle in 60', i knew there wasn't a Renegade option back then ( my first vehicle i bought when i was 14, a 85' CJ7 Renegade ). I did see that some old jeep hardtops were available as an option in 60' so i assumed there might have been rollsbars too.

So i guess keeping this jeep stock isn't going to to be an option, It will be used as a DD, and it needs to be safe ( I have a daughter ) who will eventually ride in it.

When I add the rollcage to the frame, and put some rubber in the wheel wells, do i need to strip off the bedliner in those areas first? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks BajaEdition and everyone else!
1960_cj5.jpg
front_shot.jpg
jeep.jpg
jeep_engine.jpg
jeep_tub.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Pictures

Damn! That is one nice looking CJ!!! :) And BTW - according to my powdercoating rep -as Brock stated - anything can be powdercoated as long as it can take the heat... :)

ok, I learned today about a new primer that can be electrified and magnetized, killer, so here goes, I use the rubber thing on my steel jeeps to save the steel and the paint.
Nice looking jeep and hope we can answer any other question you have

Re: Pictures

Damn! That is one nice looking CJ!!! :) And BTW - according to my powdercoating rep -as Brock stated - anything can be powdercoated as long as it can take the heat... :)

Oh ye of little faith, LOL.

As for the line-x I'd leave it in place as extra protection for the body.

Always bolt to a frame frames are heat treated make the bracket out of 3/8 steel plate make a pattern out of card board and allow 1/8 inch for a rubber pad between plate and the underside and the top of the the body use 3/4 inch bolts with bushings the thickness of the fiberglass and the two rubber pads when you bolt the roll bar to the frame mount and you wont fracture the fibreglass

Always bolt to a frame frames are heat treated make the bracket out of 3/8 steel plate make a pattern out of card board and allow 1/8 inch for a rubber pad between plate and the underside and the top of the the body use 3/4 inch bolts with bushings the thickness of the fiberglass and the two rubber pads when you bolt the roll bar to the frame mount and you wont fracture the fibreglass
I would not have thought of the bushings, good detail.:cool:

that is a good looking ride.:ww:

As for a roll cage I'd tie into the frame, mounts come off the frame,
then use a plate with a rod that sticks up through the body, the roll cage
fits down over the rod like a sleeve, and uses a 2nd plate to sandwich to 2
together. Also use some sort of rubber mount between the two to minimize
vibrations into the body.

Brock would you make the hole in the tub a little oversized for play?

That is a great looking little jeep!

nice jeep :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom