Advice. AMC 360 CJ's On this site

Advice. AMC 360 CJ's On this site

Canadian CJ 7

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Current Setup 1985 Jeep CJ-258, 6cyl -T-5 5spd 273 gears.
I just recently purchased a used AMC 360 out of 1973 AMC Javelin and I am looking to rebuild it soon. I see many of you have this engine in your CJ's and love it, I was wondering what you have done to your 360. I am looking a Edlebrock Performer intake, Edlebrock 600 cfm carb, Edlebrock Performance Cam(RV) or a Comp Cam 268H, Headers and a HEI ignition. I would like to make power from 1000-5500 Rpm. One of the first things I want to do is strengthen my drivetrain, one piece axles, ration change 273 to 355 and a T-176 four speed which I have to swap for my T-5 . Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers, Brian :chug:

Sounds like you have a great game plan!
You will enjoy the power of that 360...its a world of difference from your AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

Sounds like you have a great game plan!
You will enjoy the power of that 360...its a world of difference from your AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

Thanks, I am enjoying the little AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l while I have it, I can see where people love the low rpm torque this engine has, great for crawling up hills. I just miss the top end my AMC 304 had before this engine. It's apples and oranges between these two engines. The AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is a great engine for what it is. Looking forward to making some good bottom and top end with the 360.

CJ what gears and tires size are you using with your 360?

Thanks, I am enjoying the little AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l while I have it, I can see where people love the low rpm torque this engine has, great for crawling up hills. I just miss the top end my AMC 304 had before this engine. It's apples and oranges between these two engines. The AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is a great engine for what it is. Looking forward to making some good bottom and top end with the 360.

CJ what gears and tires size are you using with your 360?

I have 3:73 gears and 35x12.50 Swampers on my CJ. With that setup, I have to slip the clutch a little bit to get it rolling. But I like the wheel speed I get for running in the mud, I run most pits in 4low, second gear and top out about 5500 RPMs. Redline seems to be about 6500-7000 RPMs.
Before you ask, I have no idea of the internal build of this engine, I bought it this way.
It does have the externals listed over there <<<< :chug:

Yes you will enjoy the 360 but what axles do you have in your jeep? I have no problem with my AMC20 but if you have a Dana 30 in front you will have problems with axle shafts breaking. :confused: going to dana 44s:drool:

I mud race my Jeep with the stock Dana 30 front. The worst its ever broke is a U-Joint. I have twisted my rear driveshaft into a pretzel tho. Those 5000 RPM launches are a :censored: on stock parts!
Now if he is playing in the rocks, that might be a different matter...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom