Alternator Help

Alternator Help

Torxhead

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s
Have a neighbor with a hot rod '56 Ford truck purchase a 150 amp alternator from Jegs and has issues with charging at idle. It was purchased to help the aftermarket air conditioner run and still keep the alternator charging. The specs say it begins the charge at around 880 rpm, it is also a one wire type hooked directly to the battery, I guess hot rodders don't like a lot of wires under the hood. I am thinking it is a reworked GM 12si alternator. From what I understand it is required to burp the throttle to get it charging. I am going to try and convince him to run the alternator charge wire to a junction box with wires from there returning to the battery and other major amp draw connections. I got this plan from looking at a web page(MadElectrical.com - Electrical Tech) which is about alternators. I am looking for other suggestions on how to best wire this monster up. It is already mounted in the truck.

Take it and have it tested before going any farther.
Let's make sure it's NOT the altenator.....;)
:chug:
LG

Thanks Lumpy, went over to work on it tonight and he is happy with it the way it is. To compound the matter it has an amp gauge that will read up to only 12 amps and a #4 wire as the charging wire with no fuse, breaker, or fusible link. Go figure

Thanks Lumpy, went over to work on it tonight and he is happy with it the way it is. To compound the matter it has an amp gauge that will read up to only 12 amps and a #4 wire as the charging wire with no fuse, breaker, or fusible link. Go figure

wow thats alot of alternator, i would think straight to the battery or junction box would be best, surprised that amp gauge hasn't fried yet

Thanks Lumpy, went over to work on it tonight and he is happy with it the way it is.

Tell him-The way it is, ain't 'rite'!
LG

wow thats alot of alternator, i would think straight to the battery or junction box would be best, surprised that amp gauge hasn't fried yet
I would think if the battery got low enough it could fry that gauge, a voltmeter would be better. I think the junction box is the way to go. here is the advertisement for that alternator:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sRWqIJVdMg

Take that amp gauge out of the circuit, and see what happens.
If he thinks all is OK-Tell'em to drive around in stop & go traffic, with the lights on and see how long it keeps running.
LG

Yes it is-Have him drive around with lights and AC on for several miles.
Also, how old is this battery?
LG

Yes it is-Have him drive around with lights and AC on for several miles.
Also, how old is this battery?
LG

The battery is a new Optima, that is the one thing he listened to me suggest. Of course that will help the vehicle run when at idle. The cables are 2/0.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks