Am I expecting too much from replacement panels?

Am I expecting too much from replacement panels?

jeepardy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 258 JY TBI TF999 Dana300 Dana 44 WT
I picked up some body panels and was quite disappointed. Am I expecting too much.
smDSCN0208notes.png
smDSCN0203notes.png
It took me 3 hrs to get this far and I'm going to have to tack and bang to get it to fit, cause when I added the outside edge, it made the whole thing off center.
DSCN0207.png

Whats your experience with floor pan panels?

I made this from scratch, granted a little easier to fab, but that's why I bought the floor pan
DSCN0197.png
DSCN0198.png
DSCN0199.png

Man if I ever get to this point (and it's coming...) I will just find another tub :(

I dont have any comments for you other then weld in floors and panels are more then just plug-and-go it seems. Always seems to be some extra fab work that needs to be done. Looks like you handled it well, the Pillar support you fabbed up looks good. :chug:

Were did you get your replacement panels from? If they didn't come from Classic Enterprises your usually buying low quality import junk.
Got them from auto body replacement parts | Rust repair panels and actually stopped by the plant in Redford Michigan and picked them up. Quality is good, 16 ga steel, its just that they don't seem to have the right fab work on it.
DSCN0210.png
Its gonna work fine and turn out as or better than expected. But I have a bead roller and break, just not an english wheel for rolling curves and with all the steel I trimmed off I could have made it myself

Hmm... With all the missing beads I would say they get them from an import vendor. The incorrect stamping is always a sign... :(

Since you have a roller and a break you know what I'm taking about... :)

BTW - The fit on that 1st pan is about the worst I have ever seen!

Man if I ever get to this point (and it's coming...) I will just find another tub :(

I dont have any comments for you other then weld in floors and panels are more then just plug-and-go it seems. Always seems to be some extra fab work that needs to be done. Looks like you handled it well, the Pillar support you fabbed up looks good. :chug:
This is another tub. The one I started with was in way worse shape. I didn't want fiberglass and wasn't gonna spend $3-5,000 for a piece of china reman :dung: and deal with all the qc probs on those.
Alot of this work is cause of the PO doing a crappy job on floor replacement. He even used roofing tar for sealant:eek:
DSCN0195.png
and didn't bother to remove the old rusty metal, just covered it up

~~~ wasn't gonna spend $3-5,000 for a piece of china reman :dung: and deal with all the qc probs on those.
~~~
If you ever need a tub, check out Willys-Overland Motors : Repli-Tubs - they are punched from the original dies and then remanufactured / fixed by them to fit (they fix all the shoddy work). I purchased one for my 72 and it has been almost a bolt on. Highly recommended! :)

I just did some wheel well replacement on the 3b this week and the parts were exact duplicates of what I removed, you have a right to be ticked off from what I see! I would not want to go through the trouble to repair with those panels.

I regularly see tubs (used CJ or YJ) in great condition for sale on various Jeep sites...usually well under $1000. Cheapest I've seen so far is $250. The hastle is getting someone to palletize it for shipping, but shipping usually ends up a couple hundred dollars at most. If they are closer, all the better.

So for $600-$800... it's silly to buy a cheaply made, overly priced aftermarket tub for thousands of dollars.

Dont get me wrong, I admire the courage you are displaying tackeling a tub that most people would have hauled off the to scrapyard :notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom