AMC 20 Axle issues

AMC 20 Axle issues

47guy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 258,AMC 20 rear, Dana 30 front, Borg-Warner 150 3 speed, Dana 20 T-case
I am new here and was hoping for some help. I have gotten worried about my AMC20 Axle bearing having some issues with them. I have seen some stuff on Full floater mods and even thought about doing a Dana 44 swap but don't want wider axles. Anybody know places I could buy such parts.

Warn use to make the full float kit. They no longer make it though and I don't know of anybody else that does at this time.
You might find someone selling their kit used.

I found a new Warn full float kit that was previously purchased but never installed, they are no longer for sale new. All you need to do is a 1 piece axle kit and it will come with new bearings and everything you need. I have a Mosier set I need to sell if interested, I was ready to install them when I found the Warn set up for sale.

One thing I forgot to mention what started all my trouble was a broke axle bearing. During replacement I found the race would just fall in and out no hammering reguired. I haven't seen anything about oversized bearings or tube repair kits thus the leaning toward the full floater or Dana 44 . Yes I do still have the 2 piece axles and am a little hesitant about the one peice as I have seen alot of negative reviews.

How much for the Moser set if you think this will solve my issue?

How much for the Moser set if you think this will solve my issue?
Can't say from here if you have bigger issues or not with your housing so I have no idea if it will solve your issues, Do you have it apart now? was the bearing race spinning or show some kind of defect in the housing? get some pics for us.

Anyway...
$200 plus shipping, kit for AMC20 narrow track unopened box.

During replacement I found the race would just fall in and out no hammering reguired. I haven't seen anything about oversized bearings or tube repair kits.
Yes I do still have the 2 piece axles and am a little hesitant about the one peice as I have seen alot of negative reviews.

The race being loose is a very common thing. Take a center punch and make 3 dimples around the inside of the tube. (1 every 120*)

I'd like to know what bad things you have heard about 1 piece axles.?

I've had mine for 6 years or so with no problems. And yes I had to dimple my tubes to get the races to fit tight.

I don't have the axle apart right now I had no choice but to put it back together and keep driving it as its my daily driver and currently all I have to get around. The housing lookss fine when the bearing blew the race was broken into about three pieces. The bad things I have been hear about one piece kits is them constantly chewing up bearings. I will say the dimple idea is a little difficult for me to invision but if it is what I am picturing that sounds like a good idea I just don't want to pull that pain in the rear (no pun intended) back apart again without a solid fix. I am waiting to hear back but I have found a company in Massachusetts that claims they can build the full floater kit for me but I will keep the one pieces in mind I will let you know soon.

Eyes staring wide. :) Keep us informed.
I have found a company in Massachusetts that claims they can build the full floater kit for me but I will keep the one pieces in mind I will let you know soon.

The bad things I have been hear about one piece kits is them constantly chewing up bearings.
I have found a company in Massachusetts that claims they can build the full floater kit for me .

Most people that have trouble don't get the bearing preload set right.
Or like you their races are loose.

Keep us informed on the floater kit.

Most people that have trouble don't get the bearing preload set right.
Or like you their races are loose.

Keep us informed on the floater kit.
not to sound to ignorant but how do you set the preload on the rear axle? if i remember right all i had to do was press the bearing on the axle with the brake backing plate and the (for lack of better words) keeper plate.

not to sound to ignorant but how do you set the preload on the rear axle? if i remember right all i had to do was press the bearing on the axle with the brake backing plate and the (for lack of better words) keeper plate.

The preload is set with the spacer (that you grind to the correct thickness) beheind the bearing.

I don't have the axle apart right now I had no choice but to put it back together and keep driving it as its my daily driver and currently all I have to get around. The housing lookss fine when the bearing blew the race was broken into about three pieces. The bad things I have been hear about one piece kits is them constantly chewing up bearings. I will say the dimple idea is a little difficult for me to invision but if it is what I am picturing that sounds like a good idea I just don't want to pull that pain in the rear (no pun intended) back apart again without a solid fix. I am waiting to hear back but I have found a company in Massachusetts that claims they can build the full floater kit for me but I will keep the one pieces in mind I will let you know soon.
One piece axles are used as factory equipment in most except for the amc and I believe they even had a factory optional one piece axle available, the one piece design would have nothing to do with "chewing up bearings". Poor set up or bent housing/tubes may have more to do with bearing problems and before you preceed further I would make sure your axle housing is true.

The preload is set with the spacer (that you grind to the correct thickness) beheind the bearing.
ah instructions said nothing about it, still no problems in right at 2 yrs. i know how to do front wheel bearings but the rear is something i don't mess with as much.

Wasn't hard to do- the spec is pretty liberal- did mine with a flap disc on a grinder, a straightedge and a feeler gauge. 2 years and still cherry.

Bush

Thats all good info if this full floater doesn't pan out I will definetly go with the one piece. I haven't thought about the tubes being bent either will check that as well. Thanks guys for the info I will definetly let you know about the Floaters also.

More news on the Full Floater kit. Mitchell Differential makes them and they sent me back an E-mail and assured me they can build the kit I just have to send them a few measurements which a worksheet is provided to do so. It aint cheap but will end my bearing problem. Gonna take me a few months to get the time and Money to do it but I will let you everbody know how it turns out. It will be done before May as I have to drive from GA to TX then. So look for an update around then.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom