AMC 20 Axle issues

AMC 20 Axle issues
More news on the Full Floater kit. Mitchell Differential makes them and they sent me back an E-mail and assured me they can build the kit I just have to send them a few measurements which a worksheet is provided to do so. It aint cheap.

May we ask how much ?

How bout this?
Jeep CJ Parts

I have a few questions that you will want to ask about how bearings get lubed...
The Warn has the option of a inner axle seal that keeps the diff fluid in the diff. and you then pack the bearings as you normaly would with grease or you can elect to leave the seal out and let the diff. fluid run out to the bearings.
If you plan to use or are able to use locking hubs with this kit I would advise you to use the seal and keep the gear oil out of the bearings and the reason is the Warn hubs are not 100% sealed and you will have leaks out the hub.
If you go with lock flanges then you would not have those issues to deal with and gear oil in the bearings would be my choice.

The full floater is 1100 dollars before shipping. Thanks for the info on the lube issue I am not sure about the kit I am getting but if it is anything like the danas and fords I have worked on in the past the bearing setup is the exact same as the front wheels using an inner and an outer on a hub. Everybody keeps talking about a warn kit but I have not seen one anywhere the one I am getting is a custom build.

The race being loose is a very common thing. Take a center punch and make 3 dimples around the inside of the tube. (1 every 120*)

Old Dog, do you happen to have a pic of the dimple placement. or even a diagram?. for some reason I just cannot get a mental picture in my head!!!

The race being loose is a very common thing. Take a center punch and make 3 dimples around the inside of the tube. (1 every 120*)

Old Dog, do you happen to have a pic of the dimple placement. or even a diagram?. for some reason I just cannot get a mental picture in my head!!!

Kickenjeep Take a center punch and small hammer, make a small dimple at 10-2-and 6 oclock. about 1/4 in. in or so. All you need is enough stop the race from turning.
Hope that helps, I don't have pics.

I still don't understand why people stay with this JUNK axle... dumping money to get it halfway decent (at-best)... It would be more cost effective to yank it and toss in a Dana 44 or find a D60 for dirt cheap, do the small changes, lug pattern, perches etc... but, that's me.

Ok so I finally got the full float kit for my old CJ5 . I am thrilled with it. Install was incredibly easy and took very little time. The head ache of it is each kit is custom hand built for each customer and requires disassembly of the axle to get measurements but was well worth it. My jeep now rides quieter and smoother than it ever had before and the leaks associated with having all the shims and multiple seals bolted on are gone. The company I got it from is Mitchell Differential they are online and are very helpful. Oh yeah I went out on a limb with it got it installed and 2 days later left Georgia and drove 1000 miles to Texas. The only problem I had was forgot to adjust the brakes shoes and the adjuster fell out in Louisianna.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom