AMC 20 Outer Pinion Bearing

AMC 20 Outer Pinion Bearing

Scotty

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7 4" Lift,33x12.5 BFG Mud,D300,AMC20,D30
258 4.2,5 speed,Weber,8000lb Ramsey Winch,lots of lights,More new parts than you can shake a stick at!
Is it possible to change just the outer bearing and race?

Or do I have to pull the axils and gears,ring and pinion and the inner pinion bearing and race? Option two is not in my near future as pulling all that :dung: out is totally new to me!

option 2.
I can't think of anyway to do this with out pulling the pinion.
To pull the pinion the carrier and ring gear must also come out.

Hmmm if you are talking about the pinion bearing at the yoke end then you can remove yoke and replace bearing. If you are talking about pinion bearing at the back of the teeth on the pinion then everything comes out :( I will assume you are talking about the first one as it is more common to fail....Get a new bearing, pinion seal, crush sleeve. remove the yoke, seal, bearing, and crush sleeve off the axle. install new crush sleeve, bearing with the old bearing race in place new seal and old yoke torque pinion nut to spec and your good...... The manual has a diffent torque for new bearings and old bearings :chug:

If some one will explain to me how to remove the front bearing with out pulling the pinion I will truly know how to bend the laws of physics.
The last time I did this I drove the bearing out fron the inside. :D

And the "pre load" torque is just for the pinion, not the ring and carrier as well.

I would like to remark on my last post. It seems that I am having trouble writing or even speaking without sounding like a total jerk. Just one of those days, I guess, I,m working on it.:D

Hmmm if you are talking about the pinion bearing at the yoke end then you can remove yoke and replace bearing. If you are talking about pinion bearing at the back of the teeth on the pinion then everything comes out :( I will assume you are talking about the first one as it is more common to fail....Get a new bearing, pinion seal, crush sleeve. remove the yoke, seal, bearing, and crush sleeve off the axle. install new crush sleeve, bearing with the old bearing race in place new seal and old yoke torque pinion nut to spec and your good...... The manual has a diffent torque for new bearings and old bearings :chug:

You are correct im talking about the pinion bearing at the yolk off the driveshaft.. I was thinking everything would be straight forward with the exception of the race.

Thanks for your help folks..
:chug:

IO its ok, Yes the bearing will come out just fine it installs from the outside of the axle housing and the pinion installs from the inside when the pinion nut is torqued down the 2 bearings hold the pinion in place.....nope the race wont come out with out everything else coming out :( you can however install a new bearing on the old race provided the race is not totally shot....only one way to find out:(

that sort of makes sense. this could be interesting. the hardest part of the job is pulling the crush sleeve. Wondering I am if you could replace that sleeve with shim washers to the thickness of the crush sleeve you remove to get close to the preload torque. Scotty, in order to measure that torque you will need an inch pound torque wrench.
IMHO rear axle rebuilds/repairs are one of the things you can be really proud of when you have finished successfully.:cool:

IO its ok, Yes the bearing will come out just fine it installs from the outside of the axle housing and the pinion installs from the inside when the pinion nut is torqued down the 2 bearings hold the pinion in place.....nope the race wont come out with out everything else coming out :( you can however install a new bearing on the old race provided the race is not totally shot....only one way to find out:(

Ok you all got me wondering, do you need to change the crush sleeve,
or can you just retorque it like you would do when replacing the seal?
(with setting the inch lb. reading)

Heck if I know.:cool:

actually as I think about it, I have a friend who is a much better wrench than I am who tells me he will crush the new sleeve in a vice to get it close to the one he is replacing. For what that is worth.

Ok you all got me wondering, do you need to change the crush sleeve,
or can you just retorque it like you would do when replacing the seal?
(with setting the inch lb. reading)

ok first you can not remove the bearing behind the yoke without taking the pinion out. it is impossible!!!! it is pressed onto the bearing when you tighten the yoke down. after this you need to press the pinion out after install.second you cannot remove the pre load and then reinstall the pinion without a new crush bearing which is installed onto the pinion before it goes int the axle. you cant even loosen the nut with out haveing to re do everything all over again.. and setting that preload is a pain.. it is best to mark the treads against the nut so you can see where to re tighten the nut when you re assemble. not the proper way of doing it but might get you by.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom