AMC 20 to DANA 44 Swap

AMC 20 to DANA 44 Swap

wolfclan

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 258 AMC20(for now) 5spd mostly factory.....but hey, I've only had it for 3 months!
I have the op to buy a 2007 Dana 44 to replace my 1986 AMC20 (T-5 tranny). I was planning on upgrading to one piece axles and have the amc dropped now for seal and bearing replacement anyway. upside is the axles, the diff, and disc brakes. Whats the downside? Can I make this work? I am concerned about width, drive shaft matching up etc? Any thoughts or concerns? Thanks.

I have the op to buy a 2007 Dana 44 to replace my 1986 AMC20 (T-5 tranny). I was planning on upgrading to one piece axles and have the amc dropped now for seal and bearing replacement anyway. upside is the axles, the diff, and disc brakes. Whats the downside? Can I make this work? I am concerned about width, drive shaft matching up etc? Any thoughts or concerns? Thanks.

:)Width Yes and the 2007 Dana 44 is a coil sprung suspension. Probably have to be narrowed and cut off all the brackets and put spring hangers on it. Do the gears match your front Dana 30 ? If not a re-gear.
Can be done.............at some expense.
:D:D:D:D

Theres also a difference in the wheel bolt pattern.

Theres also a difference in the wheel bolt pattern.
which means new inner axles
best bet would be going full floating on the AMC20 . it would be stronger than the 2007 Dana 44 afterward, the current Dana 44 in the Wrangler is a hybrid and suffers from thin tubing, trust me I bent 2 of them.

And just where would a guy find a full float kit for an AMC20 ?:D

which means new inner axles
best bet would be going full floating on the AMC20 . it would be stronger than the 2007 Dana 44 afterward, the current Dana 44 in the Wrangler is a hybrid and suffers from thin tubing, trust me I bent 2 of them.

Doesn't superior make a kit?
You may have to do a goggle search

Thanks guys. I'm going to jut build the 20....one piece axles, weld the tubes axle truss, etc. Should be plenty strong for what i plan on doing!:cool:

Thanks guys. I'm going to jut build the 20....one piece axles, weld the tubes axle truss, etc. Should be plenty strong for what i plan on doing!:cool:

That's what I've done. Well I haven't done the 1 piece axles yet but I plan too in the fall. I'm told this is much stronger then any 44 out there...

NewJeepBumper3-12-12043.jpg

NewJeepBumper3-12-12041.jpg

NewJeepBumper3-12-12040.jpg

NewJeepBumper3-12-12045.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom