AMC 304... What carb you running?

AMC 304... What carb you running?

Drucifer

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7. AMC 304 Auto Trans. Everything else is stock as far as I can tell, for now...

07 H3, 07 Harley Davidson FatBoy
Just picked up my project. PO had recently installed a Holley 4 bbl. I have a pal that says I should be running an Edelbrock and that they are easier to tweak. Engine is an AMC 304 with some sort of performance intake manifold.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Regrettably, I cant give model numbers, etc... right now. I know they are both a solid piece and lots of guys run both of them. I'm fairly new to engine work and want to get a good grasp of this before I jump.

Input appreciated!

Just picked up my project. PO had recently installed a Holley 4 bbl. I have a pal that says I should be running an Edelbrock and that they are easier to tweak. Engine is an AMC 304 with some sort of performance intake manifold.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Regrettably, I cant give model numbers, etc... right now. I know they are both a solid piece and lots of guys run both of them. I'm fairly new to engine work and want to get a good grasp of this before I jump.

Input appreciated!

Holley's are easier to rebuild and adjust jetting. edelbrock is pretty good out of the box. Are you having a problem with yours? The biggest thing people do is throw a intake and carb on a stock 304 thats way to big for it. theres not need for a 750 carb and a intake that makes power in the 4-6000 rpm range. Best thing for you to do is find out what you have for intake and carb and let us know.

Jim,
Thanks. Took her on her maiden voyage today. Turns out, she's just cold blooded... Once she warmed up a bit everything ran as it should. Thinking about replacing all vacuum lines instead of the carb. PO had mentioned something about vacuum being "meh" until she warms up. May just be a function of an old 304!

Thanks for the input. Sticking with the holley for now.

The vacuum should only be meh when warm if its doesnt idle very well. Id look into making sure the choke works right so it doesnt have that warm bloddedness to it. replacing the vacuum lines and making sure they are correct is another great way to make sure its running right.

I have an Edelbrock and love it. Yes it's easy to tune and work on.
I've also had a Holly and they too are good carburetors. I would not go to the trouble of swapping carbs.

Thanks Dave. Once she got warmed up she ran like a top. Going to stick with the Holley. Its already there and sitting on an Edelbrock intake. If it ain't broke...

Decided I'm going to do a frame up build on her, so right now a carb is completely off the list. I'm a bit sad that she won't be on the road for a while, but I think it will be the best plan and worth the time and effort to do it all right.

I run a Holley Avenger Carb on mine. Mine is cold blooded and warm blooded it seems. It has an eldebrock intake and what seems like a rather large cam by the idle. ( PO enigine )

It runs rich and will make your eyes water. I have yet been able to get it to tune well at idle or low idle at speed. I can hear a slite miss at low idle when driving but when you open her up she comes alive like a raving lunatic.
Perhaps it is just the cam?

Sadly I can build anything but have never done an engine :(

Sounds a lot like the setup on my rig. Definitely runs a bit rich...

Thanks for the info!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom