AMC Model 20 Axle Housing

AMC Model 20 Axle Housing

jj32907

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ-5, 1977 I6, 3spd standard trans, stock AMC transfer case...
My 1977 CJ5 has a vent assembly on the passengers side of the rear axel housing. It is strange to me that this is part of the fuel tank venting system, but is does exist and I need the fitting which connects to the axel housing and the vent hose. This is shown in Haynes on the bottom of 8-9.. ANY help would be appreciated in obtaing this. Tks, Jim

Re: AMC Model 20 Axel Housing

I have a 77 CJ7 and my axle vent was never tied into the fuel vent system. The vent hose should just vent to the atmosphere by the frame. The fitting on my axle was a press in fitting. I threaded the hole and got a threaded hose barb from the hardware store. Four wheel drive hardware has the vent end fitting that goes in the hose, it's a plastic cap.

You can run that hose up to the frame, that's where it was originally . It may also be to your advantage to extend it up as far as you can, possibly up into the fender well by the fuel tank vent , but not connected to it. I can't think of any way venting to the fuel vent would hurt anything , unless you were in the habit of smoking while working on the rear axle seals or brakes maybe?:D

thanks, but my problem is at the axel housing. it is factory drilled and tapped for a vent fitting which is damaged like someone beat it with a hammer. why it is this even here is a mystery but called for in my diagram. Since this is a mudder, all exiting vents and breathers are above the engine.:confused: I have the diagram but I can not get it on here to post. Jim

So, if I understand right you have managed to remove the fitting and are just looking for a replacement??:cool:

thanks, but my problem is at the axel housing. it is factory drilled and tapped for a vent fitting which is damaged like someone beat it with a hammer. why it is this even here is a mystery but called for in my diagram. Since this is a mudder, all exiting vents and breathers are above the engine.:confused: I have the diagram but I can not get it on here to post. Jim
The pupose of the vent and the PO having them exit so high up is that when the diff gets hot the pressure can vent out the hose and not the seals, they are high up so when you hit the water or mud and it cools them off they will suck air back in and not water.

GREAT INFO... Now if I can just get the fitting. THANKS!!!

Yep... the fitting had just fallen out on it's own. Threads were all messed up... I now understand why I "thought" it vented up to the gas fill tube. The hose ran high to keep the water out... Still need to find the new piece... THANKS!!! Jim... Oh... what is IO?

I’m not sure anyone except an axle shop would know what size the fitting is and maybe not even then. If you have the buggered up fitting take it to NAPA or similar parts house and see if they can match it. The other option is to re-tap the hole to work with a fitting NAPA (or others) do have available.

Thanks, I did not think of NAPA. I gave the old part to a machinist to try and salvage. If no success with him I'll try NAPA. As long as I can get the thread size right I'm sure I can make something work. TKS again, JJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom