Annoying Buzzing Sound From Dash

Annoying Buzzing Sound From Dash

cj7Grim

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 Cj7 6cy 4spd
Ive searched on here and couldnt find anything. I just bought an 86 CJ7 yesterday it has the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l block with a 4.0 head converted to fuel injection. I have this annoying buzzing sound coming from behind the dash when the jeep is on. But only when its only. Kinda sounds like when u leave the headlights on in some cars.. PO claims its the fuel pump but im not too sure yet. Anyone else ever have a problem like this? Im going to start going into the dash when the weather her gets better. Being my first jeep ever i need to find out how to take off the dash first LOL.. Well thanks for reading guys

I would check your frame rails close to the rear of the Jeep. There should be a electric fuel pump mounted somewhere in that area. If you leave the Jeep sit awhile and then just turn the key on to prime the pump you should here a clicking type noise coming from the location of your pump. Just turn the key , be quiet and listen.

Also did your Jeep come with a Chiltons or Hayes manual? You'll want to grab one to help you through maintenance of your Jeep.

After you get the dash off maybe you can snap a pic of whats buzzing so one of us can identify it for you.

Are we talking about a electrical motor hum that is loudest out side the vehicle with the door shut, the sound comes from underneath the vehicle or a really annoying alarm clock sound that comes from under the dash near the steering column?

seat belt alarm??:confused:

Will do! And yeah its a really annoying alarm clock sound that comes from under the dash near the steering column

Yes or head light reminder, early ones were prone fo fail, did not think they started in 86 but could be.

My 92 Comanche had a problem with it until I tossed it. If that is it then it is a mechanical buzzer, just feel around under the dash between the door and the steering column, when you feel something vibrating, unplug and post the numbers or a photo of it.

"when you feel something vibrating, unplug and post the numbers or a photo of it." I am far to lazy to rephrase this but I am sure it will get a:eek:

Your wife really shouldnt leave you alone for more than a few minutes.

Your requests get kinda strange. :laugh:
"when you feel something vibrating, unplug and post the numbers or a photo of it." I am far to lazy to rephrase this but I am sure it will get a:eek:

Ok I looked under the dash and was distracted from the buzzing sound for now.. I stumbled upon all these wires (in the first pic) half of them arent even connected:confused: Anyone here a pic of how things should look behind there?:) Secondly are these original sockets for the speedo gauge lights?? (in the second pic) Then i saw these (3rd pic) are these bushing stock or is it part of a body lift or something.. Sorry if that was a stupid question my first jeep.. thanks again for reading this

1st picture:
Figured out what might be buzzing, your speedo cable is disconnected.
2nd:
Also those socket light bulbs are for the guages/dash lights, etc.
3rd:
Looks like a body lift to me.

Your wiring looks almost as bad as mine did when I got my '79, LOL.

The speedo cable was hooked up while buzzing was going on.. Im searching for a wiring diagram right now cuz I dont know what wire is for what and which socket goes where LOL good times!

If there is a diagram, how to, faq, tip, trick, I usually have it squirreled away someplace.

squirrel_2.jpg

Well Im glad I dont see a fuel pump. Even though your speedo cable was connected it still could be the culprit. Does the needle jump or bounce around a little?

Last edited:
if I found a gas pump under my dash, I would be horrified, imagine a line getting loose and spraying the entire underdash and your legs with gas:eek:

The wireing looks like most cj's, to many different owners over time.:eek:

As brock said it looks like a small body lift.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom