Another fuel gauge issue

Another fuel gauge issue

grunt

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 304, 400 automatic
Getting my 79 AMC 304 project road worthy, hook up the gas gauge and all seems to be working fine. Put the ignition on and off a few times and reads the same... 1/4 tank . I start to go to the local gas station and about a 100 feet into ride it pegs to full.:confused: I return and take the gauge out and go through the process. All my grounds seem to be in working order. So I go to this link thats always posted here .....
Basic Troubleshooting for CJ gauges
I test the "A" terminal and my test light stays on constantly. So I'm thinking a stuck contact point on the regulator. Is this pretty easy to get at? Any info is appreciated....

The sending unit on my '81 CJ5 is in the tank. I'm not sure there is a separate regulator. You have to drop the tank to get to the sending unit. Not all that easy but you can get it off and on and a new unit in in one day. Get it as empty as you can before doing this. Gas is 10 pounds per gallon roughly and it adds up quick. Just a side note. I did this, put in a new sending unit and my gauge still isn't working. It's back to checking grounds for me. Good luck.

Tommy

grunt;52220I test the "A" terminal and my test light stays on constantly. So I'm thinking a stuck contact point on the regulator. Is this pretty easy to get at? Any info is appreciated....[/QUOTE said:
The gauge is kinda a pain to take apart but very doable, just take your time and pay attention to what your doing.

The gauge is kinda a pain to take apart but very doable, just take your time and pay attention to what your doing.
ok, pry up gingerly on the speedo mileage needle to get the face off? Does the needle have to be in a certain position?

ok, pry up gingerly on the speedo mileage needle to get the face off? Does the needle have to be in a certain position?

Mine came off from the backside, if I remember corectly, it's been a while.

Ok Thanks Old Dog. You are right.... I took the speedo apart and took out the fuel gauge. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Checking the voltage regulator inside , I notice one of the bi-metallic arms was a little burnt but still intact. So I took some super fine sandpaper and touched it up so gingerly. I also put the sand paper through the contact points. Put it together and it works!!!!:D Just came back from down the road and still working. So maybe it was the contact points or the bi-metallic arm I'm not sure. Here is a picture of inside one fuel gauge...

Thanks Everone!!!..:chug:

Good to hear someone won the fuel gauge game. :chug:
I never did get mine working, I ended up buying an auto meter gauge to finally win the game.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom