Another use for a pipe bender

Another use for a pipe bender

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
A couple years ago now I needed a pipe bender for expanding my "Sport Cage". Being a cheap SOB I searched Craigslist regularly for a bender. Eventually a HF pipe bender showed up for less than $50 so it became mine. Others might dispute this, but it worked really well making very decent pipe bends. But it didn't stop there.

I don't have a decent set of torches ... a neighbor barrowed then sold my set .... so bending steel bar has been a problem. That is until the pipe bender came along. At first I tried bending rebar, then a bolt. Lite weight materials like that. But it will do much heavier metals. For instance my T18 had a rusted shift lever. Bad enough to require replacing. The new stick is straight and just under 1/2" in diameter. Naturally you don't want to make a cob job of your stick, only a nice bend will do. The pipe bender came to mind. Sure enough with the rollers set in tight and the smallest die in place the pipe bender did a beautiful job bending the stick with only finger tip pressure needed.

The point is, if you have a hydraulic pipe bender it doesn't need to sit in the corner waiting for the next pipe bending job. Honestly how often does that happen to a normal guy. With a little imagination it really is a small press and most anything that needs bending can be done. Another example. I needed to bend some wood strips for a boat project I was/am doing. The strips were thin and several layers needed to be glued together in a bend. So I used several thin strips of cedar, some Tightbond III sandwiched together put them in the bender before the glue set and bent the pile to where needed and walked away for it to dry. No clamps needed. The end product turned out really well.

That's one thing I wish I had is a bender. I would also like to find a good T18 like you have HH and was wondering what would be the best way to bend a straight new stick

:) honestly, my t18/Dana 20 was a rusty mess (look at my "Rusty" thread) and I paid more or less top dollar for it, then put a couple hundred in the T18 and well over $1000 with a set of terra low gears in the t-case. I'm not complaining, it costs money to customize things to the point where you get exactly what you want.

There are lots of ways to bend a new stick or the re-bend your old stick. I've done it with heat, but as I wrote, my torches took flight. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to do a good thing for people you know are pond scum.

I'm beginning to really like my H-F pipe bender for odd jobs it was never designed to do. As written above, with a little imagination it's really a small press.

Thanks. I'll check out Rusty

Look for post #72. Thread Name "Rusty I think I'm loosing my nerve" It's a long thread and I learned a lot.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks