As usual help :)

As usual help :)

CoreyYoungCj577

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj7 232 inline 6,Dana 20 Tc,T-150 Trans, stock diffs.
Ok guys so heres the deal, im sick and tired of looking at the CJ7 sitting there! so tomorrow im going to a junkyard to get a two barrel intake for the jeep, but here is the other deal its off of a eagle, so please let me know what two barrel intakes will mesh with my AMC 232 i6 I-6 engine. Like what cars can i take a 2 barrel off of and have it bolt right up to mine?

Ok guys so heres the deal, im sick and tired of looking at the CJ7 sitting there! so tomorrow im going to a junkyard to get a two barrel intake for the jeep, but here is the other deal its off of a eagle, so please let me know what two barrel intakes will mesh with my AMC 232 i6 I-6 engine. Like what cars can i take a 2 barrel off of and have it bolt right up to mine?

I won't sear to it, but I would think any AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or AMC 232 i6 AMC six. There is a difference in the way 87' & newer manifolds mount. If you use to matching intake & exhaust manifolds it should make no difference what year the engine is. I hope that helps.

I won't sear to it, but I would think any AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or AMC 232 i6 AMC six. There is a difference in the way 87' & newer manifolds mount. If you use to matching intake & exhaust manifolds it should make no difference what year the engine is. I hope that helps.

To clarify, there is a difference in the thickness of the mounting flanges.

Because you have a AMC 232 i6 , I think that only pre-1980 AMC 232 i6 or AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l intake and exhaust manifolds will fit. The manifolds are set up to bolt together, post 1980 manifolds do not. And the post 1980 manifolds don't have the flap in them, they are set up to have coolant pumped through them.

I agree with LongHorn on the fact that if you're going to get them, get the set.

Because you have a AMC 232 i6 , I think that only pre-1980 AMC 232 i6 or AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l intake and exhaust manifolds will fit. The manifolds are set up to bolt together, post 1980 manifolds do not. And the post 1980 manifolds don't have the flap in them, they are set up to have coolant pumped through them.

I agree with LongHorn on the fact that if you're going to get them, get the set.

Ok then so i need to get a exhaust and intake manifold off of a pre 80 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or AMC 232 i6 , but where can i find these, what models of cars, i need a example please and thank you.

I know i can get them off of AMC eagles,gremlins, and pacers and such but it has to be from a 77-80 right?

Long horn my engine is a 77 inline 6 AMC 232 i6 I-6 E block

Ok then so i need to get a exhaust and intake manifold off of a pre 80 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or AMC 232 i6 , but where can i find these, what models of cars, i need a example please and thank you.

I know i can get them off of AMC eagles,gremlins, and pacers and such but it has to be from a 77-80 right?

Long horn my engine is a 77 inline 6 AMC 232 i6 I-6 E block

I think what were trying to say is the year of the engine is not as important as a matched set of intake & exhaust manifolds.

I think what were trying to say is the year of the engine is not as important as a matched set of intake & exhaust manifolds.

So should i take mine off and bring them along to look for a matching set? just with a two barrel intake?

So should i take mine off and bring them along to look for a matching set? just with a two barrel intake?

I guess that's not a bad idea, but I'm trying to say to take the set off of the donor vehicle. Don't just take the intake.

I guess that's not a bad idea, but I'm trying to say to take the set off of the donor vehicle. Don't just take the intake.

oh i wont ill take both as long as they both match up i just figured cost wise, it would be cheaper and get better performance, for me to run that two barrel intake and two barrel carb i mean all im really looking at for cost is the gasket sets so

I completely agree, get a matching set. I'm just not positive weather or not the 1980 and newer manifolds will fit correctly.

As for what vehicles, anything AMC. Pacer, Gremlin, Eagle, Jeep trucks, CJ's, Wagoneers, etc.

oh i wont ill take both as long as they both match up i just figured cost wise, it would be cheaper and get better performance, for me to run that two barrel intake and two barrel carb i mean all im really looking at for cost is the gasket sets so

I use a early model "Offenhauser" 4brl intake with a header & had to fab some spacers. I put one on a wrangler that came with thinner mounting ears & no fab no problem.

I use a early model "Offenhauser" 4brl intake with a header & had to fab some spacers. I put one on a wrangler that came with thinner mounting ears & no fab no problem.

Well good deal hopefully i can get the set and come home switch everything off, then blow out the gas lines, drop the tank, clean the tank and reseal it, then get some gas in that and be good hopefully good to go! another questions with a two barrel intake, where do i find the open filter and plates to mount on top, because IoPort51 was telling me i cant use my old 1 barrel filter and holder, he said i would have to get a bigger filter and it would be open.

IO said you would need the breather for the new carb. Every body is telling you true, the intake and exhaust off any AMC l6 with two barrel carb. Do not get a manifold with EFI. Both of these will mount on one gasket. Take some pictures of your manifold, if you don't want to take it with you and print them for reference. I think about the only thing you can get wrong is to get an intake that is water heated, yours is not And that would complicate things at this point. If you want to take a bit more time it would be great if you could find an intake that did not have an air pump manifold and an exhaust that did not use an expendable donut gasket to mount the exhaust pipe. That would take some serious research and treasure hunting.
Do you have a torque wrench?? Can you borrow a torque wrench??
Anybody disagree??:cool:

I completely agree, get a matching set. I'm just not positive weather or not the 1980 and newer manifolds will fit correctly.

As for what vehicles, anything AMC. Pacer, Gremlin, Eagle, Jeep trucks, CJ's, Wagoneers, etc.

I know for fact, an intake I pulled off a 75' CJ5 AMC 232 i6 . I put on 88' Wrangler stock AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

IO said you would need the breather for the new carb. Every body is telling you true, the intake and exhaust off any AMC l6 with two barrel carb. Do not get a manifold with EFI. Both of these will mount on one gasket. Take some pictures of your manifold, if you don't want to take it with you and print them for reference. I think about the only thing you can get wrong is to get an intake that is water heated, yours is not And that would complicate things at this point. If you want to take a bit more time it would be great if you could find an intake that did not have an air pump manifold and an exhaust that did not use an expendable donut gasket to mount the exhaust pipe. That would take some serious research and treasure hunting.
Do you have a torque wrench?? Can you borrow a torque wrench??
Anybody disagree??:cool:

Lol what is a breather and when i asked the junk yard guy i said i needed the range of years from 76-86 AMC's and he said he had one and how do i tell if its water heated? and how do i tell if it is an air pump manifold? and the exhaust what? lol and yes my father has a torque wrench im pretty sure ive used more then him ha

IO as always thanks for the help along with everyone else!

The 88 did not have a wet manifold? I would think if it did that you would have a hose connection on the goose neck and the rear of the head that would have to be blocked some how.:)
I would agree it will bolt to the head with no problem the only difference between a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and AMC 232 i6 is the crank and rods.

Lol what is a breather and when i asked the junk yard guy i said i needed the range of years from 76-86 AMC's and he said he had one and how do i tell if its water heated? and how do i tell if it is an air pump manifold? and the exhaust what? lol and yes my father has a torque wrench im pretty sure ive used more then him ha

IO as always thanks for the help along with everyone else!

Breather AKA Air Filter housing or sometime the smaller a/f use on the valve cover or oil filler tube on V8 AMC's.

Breather AKA Air Filter housing or sometime the smaller a/f use on the valve cover or oil filler tube on V8 AMC's.

Ah ok well what would i have to do if i put this two barrel carb on? and lol my previous questions didnt get answered i just need to know what to look for and what to watch out for when i go junk yard searching! Thanks!

Ah ok well what would i have to do if i put this two barrel carb on? and lol my previous questions didnt get answered i just need to know what to look for and what to watch out for when i go junk yard searching! Thanks!

Do you not have the air cleaner housing that came with the carburetor your planning on using? I guess I'm lost.:confused:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom