axle breather ?

axle breather ?

ppd1107

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-7 258
I found that the PO has removed the front axle breather. I ordered some new ones. However I had a couple of questions. One is there anything I can use that's metal? The stock ones are plastic and just slip into place (no threads). Also how do I extend the breather to an area above the axle. I was thinking I could put a hose on them but there appears to be a plastic cap on the top.

I used a metal fitting the same diameter as the plastic one...air fitting I believe. And ran some tubing up into the engine compartment high enough to not have to worry about water and secured it with a small conduit bracket. A plastic fitting works fine too, it's not really a high-impact area.

I shoved a piece of cotton down the end of the tubing to keep debris out.

Be sure to provide some slack in the tubing to compensate for axle movement.

On the rear AMC20 axle there is a brass piece in the axle with a length of tube. The white plastic breather vent is on the top end of the rubber tube. On the Dana 30 does the white plastic breather fit into the axle itself or do I need to obtain the brass piece.

On the rear AMC20 axle there is a brass piece in the axle with a length of tube. The white plastic breather vent is on the top end of the rubber tube. On the Dana 30 does the white plastic breather fit into the axle itself or do I need to obtain the brass piece.

I cant answer that but I think any number and style of fittings will work as long as you have the diameter measurement of the breather hole. You dont want to attach the breather directly to the axle, you want some elevation on it to keep it clear of water.

When I did mine, I just shoved (pressed rather) a metal air fitting into it and went from there.

I cant answer that but I think any number and style of fittings will work as long as you have the diameter measurement of the breather hole. You dont want to attach the breather directly to the axle, you want some elevation on it to keep it clear of water.

When I did mine, I just shoved (pressed rather) a metal air fitting into it and went from there.

Like Jim said, a fitting pressed/screwed into the axle housing. Length of hose with enough slack for axle movement. Typicaly a barbed fitting with a pipe thread is often used. See if your axle has threads where the vent tube goes.

Used a fuel filter for the end vent.
PA170001.png

Or you can get fancy and use
Vent tube breather

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom