axle upgrade

axle upgrade

rr41mag

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4
And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop
I have a 1981 CJ7 and recently purchased the one pc axles. Is this a afternoon job? Will I need to have anything pressed or special tools? I figure while I'm doing this to go ahead and do a brake job too.

More than likely you will have to press on the bearings and shrink sleeve to the axles. You need the brake backing plate off the axle in order to install it to the new one before the bearing is pressed on.

Kane is correct, you will need to press off the old bearings to get the backing plate off....and press on the new bearings (dont forget to reinsert the backing plate).

It's been a really long time since I've done the conversion, but I recall that the thrust block needs to be removed with some 1-piece kits.

I didn't need mine for the Moser axles. I don't think it is needed when using seal ball bearings. I think they are set 9 bearings. No shimming is required but they are not as strong as tapered bearings.

I'm taking the two pc axles out and installing one pc axles. I figure I would do a brake job since it will be taken apart anyway. So I'll have to get the new bearings pressed on the new shafts then. No problem

I have a 1981 CJ7 and recently purchased the one pc axles. Is this a afternoon job? Will I need to have anything pressed or special tools? I figure while I'm doing this to go ahead and do a brake job too.

Getting the axles back in, sealed and bolted up is only and afternoon job. Getting the 2-piece Dana 20 axle nuts off was a three-day job finally needing an air impact wrench, heat, much penetrating oil, and a BFH to break it out.

Getting the old bearing and bearing race off was a one-afternoon job with a Dremel tool and a 420 HvyDuty cutting wheel.

Getting the bearings etc pressed on was a 4-day job when the local shop did it wrong the first time and had to replace the bearing set before doing the job right.

The brake overhaul is just like every other brake job... teardown and cleaning is 66 percent of the work.

I've been running a year with Superior one-piece axles and so far no hot hubs or grinding noises when I spin the back wheels, jacked up.

X2! I ended up cutting the axle because I couldn't get the hub off.
I was lucky I was re-gearing at the same time so I had a shop do it. They had a h*** of a time getting the hub off also. But it was worth the $800 for both axles to be upgraded and re-geared of course this was labor only the other parts was over $2000. But if i was to just do the axles I would have tackled it my self. It may take a little time alot of beer and a little cussing but you'll get it.:);)

now you did it lets get started on the new brake job

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom