baffled by ignition

baffled by ignition
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 jeep renegade,1968camaro,
Ok, so i tore my jeep down for paint over the winter and now in puttin it back together cant seem to get her runnin. I put in new starter relay,new wiring, new ignition switch but still wont turn over with key. If i run a hot wire from coil to battery, and jump the solinoid it will fire right up, could there be a bad ground? Anybody have any ideas? Thanx

on the key part
before turning on with key
turn on the heater fan, radio, and turn signal
then insert key and turn to start
are you feeling the "spring back"?
are you hearing noises from solenoid? (lol if the radio isn't too loud)
are all the components above on and working?

your profile doesn't say
automatic or manual?
dash mounted key switch right?
and selenoid looks like a cannister with only 3 connectors?

when you can post pics please

possible voltmeter connections on the ignition

oh and welcome to the site
be sure to do a post in the introductions section

Welcome Alwaystinkerin
since the engine won't crank over you have a problem with the starting system not the ignition system. We need to check some voltages. If you don't have a volt meter use a test light like this:
test-light-courtesy-of-marineengineparts.com_.jpg

Check the voltages on the starter solenoid.
solenoid.jpg
The small red wire marked I should have power whenever the key is at the ON position.
The small blue wire should have power when you have someone turn the key to the start position.

If you dont have power on the blue wire it could be the neutral safety switch. Do you have an automatic? Try starting it in neutral instead of park. Try moving the shift lever near park or neutral . If that helps it could be an adjustment on the shift and neutral safety switch.

hey busa
that's the pick i was looking for but can't seem to find it (yours is better though) :notworthy:

X2 with busa
as well as check your wires for breaks and fusible links

but if you changed the ignition........also make sure the connections are right
dash mounted especially check labeling on both to make sure they match

ok so scratch the neutral safety switch

from positive to coils fires it up?

3 things connected to the coil.... ignition, solenoid , and ignition module
metering those would not hurt a thing
compare your solenoid with busa's pic to make sure that everything good

If i run a hot wire from coil to battery, and jump the solinoid it will fire right up

You are trying 2 things there. I think you have a problem with the starting system (getting 12 volts to the starter). I don't think there is anything wrong with the coil, getting voltage to the coil or anything else with the ignition system. Let's make sure. Have someone in the jeep put it in neutral. Have him put the brake on and turn the key to RUN. Now you short the starter solenoid. Short the 2 big cables on the sides of the solenoid. This is high current so I would use a jumper cable. Use both of the red positive ends of the jumper cable (or the 2 black neg ends would work too)

I bet it will start. If so, that tells us the starter solenoid is not getting energized when you try to start it normally.
You have replaced most of the parts that could cause this so the next step is to get out the volt meter or the test light. Either your key is not sending 12 volts to the starter solenoid or the solenoid is bad. Yea, yea, I know you eliminated those possibilities. That's why we need to check voltages next. It could be a bad connection.

Ok, so i tore my jeep down for paint over the winter and now in puttin it back together cant seem to get her runnin.
I put in new starter relay,new wiring, new ignition switch but still wont turn over with key.
If i run a hot wire from coil to battery, and jump the solinoid it will fire right up, could there be a bad ground? Anybody have any ideas? Thanx

NEW STARTER RELAY, Before or after you found the 'No Start' problem?

Not all starter relays are created equal.
Some, instead of 'S' and 'I' terminals have 'S' and 'Ground' terminals on the small posts.
Where the 'I' terminal' (To the ignition coil) would be, that terminal is a 'Ground' for the relay and runs though Automatic Transmission Neutral Safety Switches.

Some have an 'Extra' small terminal that has to be grounded, and for the same reason.

Since you painted, have you run a Jumper Wire from battery negative to the Starter Relay or supplied a 'Ground' to the fender/body so the Starter Relay can 'Ground'?

'73 is a breaker points ignition, unless you have switched things to something else,
So the ignition is pretty simple,
If you are getting current with the key switch in the 'Start' and 'Run' position to the coil, it's probably not the ignition. (Test Light)

While someone holds the key switch in the 'Start' position, check for current at the "Blue" wire that hooks to 'S' terminal at the starter relay.
If you are getting power to that small 'Blue' wire, then you have a relay issue,
No 'Ground', wrong relay, bad relay out of the box, something like that.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom