Balljoints

Balljoints

driver007

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj5 304 v8, 300 Dana,model 30 Dana and model 20 AMC rear end
Should a person use anti seize on ball joints when replacing them? Also there is a spanner nut below the caster nut on the upper what size or what do you call this so I could purchase the tool to remove it? 1981 CJ5

My personal preference is not to use Anti-seize.
Make sure you have all the parts and tools before you start this job. When I did it I ended up replacing all the wear parts.
That ball joint spanner wrench is to set the pre-load so you don't end up with the top ball joint being loose when the bottom is tight or vise versa.
Here is a thread I did when I did this job.
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/spindle-nut-socket-9682/
I got the work done on my front axle today. I found a lot of contradictory information everywhere but the spindle nut is 2 1/16 inches. The socket has to be thin walled and from comments in this thread I guess it can be a little big since it doesn't need a lot of torque.
After I got started I also notice i needed a new axle U Joint and the inner spindle bearing was shot.
I hate having to run to the parts store several times during a repair. I ended up replacing every wear item. Here's the list:

1. Inner and outer wheel bearings
  2. Seal
  3. both ball joints
  4. Axle u-joint
  5. inner spindle bearing
The inner spindle bearing is often forgotten about. It guides the axle shaft in the spindle.
Here's the list of special tools I used:

1. Spindle nut socket
  2. Ball joint press
  3. Ball joint preload adjusting tool
  4. bearing greaser
  5. Torque wrench
I really wish I had the above lists before I started because I still ran to the parts store a few times. One thing that got me was torqueing the ball joint nuts. The nuts are 1 1/4 and 1 5/8. The only sockets I had for that were for 3/4 inch drive but my torque wrench is half inch drive.
I only did one side but after seeing what parts were worn I will be doing the other side. At least now I know what to have on hand.

Busa Dave would you post up a new thread on that quote, I would like to move it into the tech thread section, it is good advice we need to have in there.:chug:

Busa Dave would you post up a new thread on that quote, I would like to move it into the tech thread section, it is good advice we need to have in there.:chug:
Don,t worry about making a new thread, I took care of it.

Baja, check the mod forum. I copied the thread.

Thanks CJ, that is a nice quote he had and needs to be in our tech section

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom