Battery vs Ignition module relay

Battery vs Ignition module relay

dunlup

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7 V6 258
Hello, I need help about my '83 CJ7 Jeep. It killed 2 batteries in 2 days. I put a brand new battery, started the Jeep, everything was okay. I turned off the Jeep and couple hours later the battery was dead! Not only low, dead!! I remarked that the electronic ignition module relay was "melted". I've changed the relay and its connector and as soon as I put the new battery, the new relay start clicking on & off non stop. So, I unplugged the battery. Then I put the key on "on" position and replugged the battery and no clicking. Would it be an ignition switch problem?

Thanks!

Dunlup

Sounds like a short circut somewhere. Try removing the positive connector on the battery and touching it back on again, if you get a spark, that is an indication of a short. If you leave the key on for an extended period of time, the ignition control module will get hot as you describe. So possibly a short in the ignition circut. Have you done any work on it lately?

Not for a long time. I was using it everyday to go to work, and 2 weeks ago, I finishing working and no more juice! I boosted the battery and went home. Next morning the battery was completely dead.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$110.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks