Bed liner for rock crawler?

Bed liner for rock crawler?

JustaJeeper

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
White 1983 CJ-7. Mostly stock for now. Gotta fix the rust first.
I am sure this has been asked before but I have not been able to find a posting.
Anyway, I want to line the tub (both inside and out) of my CJ7 with a bed liner that will last FOREVER, no matter how much abuse and weathering it goes through. I do not really care what form of application of bed liner it is. As long as it lasts a long long time and prevents rust.
Any suggested products.

Check out the post I put in yesterday . Raptor makes a really nice kit. I don't think any liner is industructible. What I liked about the raptor kit is that touch up is VERY easy. Just clean the area off, shoot some more on...or use a smal brush and dab it on. I have had three different liner materials-Rhino line, Line X, and Raptor. All are about the same from a durability standpoint...my $.02.

Try line-x I've seen it used on a vehicle that was ied tested and it really held up!
That or duraliner with Kevlar if your looking for a cheaper easy fix option.

If you occasionally (or often) rub trees in tight spots, the bed liner is very grippy and you won't glide off, like with paints. Think of the paint (or enamel) as a bumper for your sheet-metal.

More chance of pushing-in fenders and tub as a result of this, too.

With a dedicated rock crawler, no problem. But...

Don't put it on wheel wells, in spots where there's a chance of rubbing from articulation, something will most likely break. Grippy tires aired down, and grippy fenderwells don't play nice. Spray undercoat instead.

Ok to use in the wheelhouse, never saw anyone rub there.

Some guys like the look and don't care. I think it looks great. I did my outer fenders, since they are shot anyway. May do the cowl, tailgate, w/shield frame, and doors as well. My hood shall remain Laredo . CJ pride and all.

If you care about how the body looks even a little, here's what I do. Use rustoleum hammered finish black.(it turns out dark silver-ish) Nice touch up, smooth, and it rolls on great with a short nap roll.

A larger nap gets you the hammered effect. I don't care for it, myself. Maybe on a bumper, or tire carrier.

They make other colors as well. The silver looks similar to hammerite, applied with a short nap roller. Always wanted to try the Copper. :D

Last edited:
the raptor looks good and seems to be solid when sprayed and prep ed properly for adhesive to the metal,,you can see mine turned out on my rebuild thread

I'd really like to see some pics with this done, I would like to do the inside of my tub and like just over the top lip where the hard top sits, and the door jams... think it would be pretty cool.

you can see some of the raptor on my rebuild here

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/84-cj7-starting-process-13469/index3.html

I did the inside of the tub and my lower rocker panel area

That's really nice, so you sprayed it on yourself, what kind of paint gun set up did you use? I imagine that stuff comes out pretty thick.. I've got a couple old guns around here somewhere, but I would guess it wouldn't be too hard on a good gun as long as you clean it well. I had LineX done on my dually bed when I bought it in '07, and it held up really well and still looked pretty good when I sold the truck earlier this year, and I would recomend it highly to anyone who wants to pay to have it done... however, when it comes to my CJs, I like to do everything myself...

Oh and 72, your engine detail is top notch, I like the gold color you chose, that's pretty sweet.:D

That's really nice, so you sprayed it on yourself, what kind of paint gun set up did you use? I imagine that stuff comes out pretty thick.. I've got a couple old guns around here somewhere, but I would guess it wouldn't be too hard on a good gun as long as you clean it well. I had LineX done on my dually bed when I bought it in '07, and it held up really well and still looked pretty good when I sold the truck earlier this year, and I would recomend it highly to anyone who wants to pay to have it done... however, when it comes to my CJs, I like to do everything myself...

Oh and 72, your engine detail is top notch, I like the gold color you chose, that's pretty sweet.:D

tks and the raptor comes with its on gun to spray with as it screws on the 4 bottles in the kit , its easy to use just follow the directions closely , I used an inline regulator to adjust the pressure down as it sprays on at low pressure about 30 psi and for a smoother texture or a rougher texture depends on how you set the pressure , I set mine around 40psi , and you air compressor needs to be at least 8 cfm , here is the kit I bought which is tintable , you can also buy it in black
U-Pol Raptor Truck Black Bed Liner Kit #ME-820 | eBay

for the price it cant be beat , it seems very durable but time will tell as mine is not very old , preping your surface is a must

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom