Belleview Winch Motor Options

Belleview Winch Motor Options

Chilly

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 SuperJeep
Guys,

I horse-traded into an old Belleview winch with burned up motor. I'll check brushes and commutator first, but assuming the motor is burned up what is the smart thing to do? Any idea what it might cost to have it rewound?

Thanks,
Chilly

Guys,

I horse-traded into an old Belleview winch with burned up motor. I'll check brushes and commutator first, but assuming the motor is burned up what is the smart thing to do? Any idea what it might cost to have it rewound?

Thanks,
Chilly

:)Chilly
That would be an early Warn Winch.................Get in touch with Herm the Overdrive guy in Washington State. He has rebuilt motors & some parts for most of those early winches.
:D:D:D:D

Great tip, thanks. And he has other cool stuff that I could use someday.

I think I'll check with a somewhat-local rewind shop but his price is tolerable. I don't have actual money into the winch so I can spend a little if need be.

I don't have cables but the previous owner says he always winched from the bumper anyhow. I think it includes the fairlead and mount for a CJ. It's still under his bench but I might pick it up today so I can get working on it.

BTW - Warn stocks many of their old parts for their winches.

:)Hi CJ,

FYI............ Warn hasn't stocked any of those old parts for winches or hubs for quite some time......all the early parts for the Bellview and early Warn models like the #5721-8000 are pretty much non existent.
One company , 4-wheel center in Minnesota did have a few odds and ends a while back and Herm does have a source for some of those early motors.
:D:D:D:D

Opened up the motor and found two of the four brush pigtails were blown open and lots of not-small pieces of armature winding were laying about. Maybe three pieces an inch long and more little shards. Field windings may have suffered some scraping and smearing but I'm hoping they're OK.

What I can see of the gears looks good, though the old oil has turned to brown waxy paste. Makes me wonder if someone replaced oil with light grease or a mixture of the two (an old trick for leaky Gravely garden tractor implement gearboxes).

The brake drum needs some serious de-rusting on the brake running surface and the band brake lining is no longer attached to the band. Maybe 2" of the end of the brake lever is broken off but I have the piece so I'll see if I can get it brazed or welded, though I'm not too hopeful for cast aluminum. But I know a darned good welder, maybe the best in more than a few states.

Bearings seem dry. If I fix the motor it would seem the ultimate expression of foolishment to not spend a little money on some new bearings. And by completely tearing it down I can put a shine on the old girl.

Later,
Chilly

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom