Bellhousing problem and oil leak

Bellhousing problem and oil leak

skinnerrouge

Jeeper
Thanks

Ooops! I think I posted this in the wrong place:

67 (dana spicer T18 transfer case, Dana 27 front diff; Dana 44 rear diff)

We had jeep checked out after buying it and the very able mechanic told us we had a transfer case leak, but no big worry. (Just keep oil in it he says)When we got to our new home, (towed the jeep) we drove the jeep little, and then a few weeks ago we noticed a big blotch of oil under it. Not sure what we are dealing with; or even where to put gear oil if need be LOL. Just trying to get advice until we can find a mechanic here?

Clearly bellhousing is missing a bolt, but shouldn't there be a gasket??
Yipes, and thanks!

Have uploaded photos I think :)

Thanks!
Brenda
Tags:http://www.jeep-cj.com/gallery/files/1/6/0/1/img_1772.jpg

Looks like a rear main.

Hi Brenda, no gasket needed on the bellhousing, the thin metal piece is just a dust cover. It may be the rear main seal on the engine leaking oil, so keep a eye on your oil level. You can pick up a Haynes or Chiltons manual for info and pictures on checking and changing oil in your transmission & transfer case. :chug:

I was looking for this last nite but couldnt find it.:) Have to agree with Coldwater , looks to be a rear main seal. Not very hard to fix. Drain the oil , drop the pan , loosen the main cap , replace the seal , tighten cap to spec. , reinstall pan , add oil , and your done. Get yourself a Haynes manual or Chiltons and follow the instructions. One thing I found though is that you need to put a dab of silicone on each of the "feet" of the gasket for a leak free seal.
Ooops! I think I posted this in the wrong place

well there you go, A lot of the old engines have this problem. It really is a easy, if not time consuming project.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$110.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks