Best carb for my 304ci 78CJ7

Best carb for my 304ci 78CJ7

cj7forfun

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 jeep CJ7, 304 stock engine, TH400 3speed auto tran and not sure on the diffs or transfer case.
I just bought a 1978 CJ7 that is in fair condition (will post pics asap) but doesn't run that well. After some choke adjustment to the totally worn out motorcraft 2100, I managed to get it to idle but when you apply the gas it chokes out and dies. I'm looking to totally replace the carb with the best possible retrofit. any suggestions from you guys would be much appreciated.

P.S. I live in S.C. so no emmissons to worry about either.

I just bought a 1978 CJ7 that is in fair condition (will post pics asap) but doesn't run that well. After some choke adjustment to the totally worn out motorcraft 2100, I managed to get it to idle but when you apply the gas it chokes out and dies. I'm looking to totally replace the carb with the best possible retrofit. any suggestions from you guys would be much appreciated.

P.S. I live in S.C. so no emmissons to worry about either.
Before you give up on the MC2100, have you checked your timing? The 2100 is a good, proven carb. Might be in your better interest to rebuild it or have it rebuilt by a reputable shop. Or just find another one.

On the other hand, I've had tremendous luck with my Quadrajet. This is an excellent carb as long as you manage to find one that's not worn out at the throttle shaft area (the problem spot). A good Qjet is worth it's weight in gold both on and offroad, a problematic one is no better then a door-stop.

Another option is a simple Edelbrock. They are stupid-easy to adjust and run very well. My only complaint was offroad...in stock form Edelbrock carbs just dont perform well in off camber situations.

Honesty, it's hard to beat the factory stock Motorcraft. That it, assuming it's tuned properly. The best thing may be to either rebuild the one you have or find a remanufactured one from a parts store.

Along with a good condition carb, new plugs and wires (or even a full up TFI ignition upgrade) and some time with a vacuum gauge tuning the engine should be all you really need.

I completely agree with CJim7 and derf. The Motorcraft 2100 is a great carburetor when it's running correctly, they're aren't difficult or expensive to rebuild, they're fairly easy to tune and they're a good offroad carb as well.

However, if you are dead set on getting rid of it, probably the easiest route to go would probably be to replace it with a Weber, New 38 DGES Weber Carburetor

Elwood, the Weber Carb you reference, is the application on a 304cid or the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

My vote goes to the 2100, a rebuild is probally all it needs.

Another option is a simple Edelbrock. They are stupid-easy to adjust and run very well. My only complaint was offroad...in stock form Edelbrock carbs just dont perform well in off camber situations.

First choice should be to rebuild the Motorcraft but if you are set on replacing it get an Edelbrock or Holley Truck Avenger. I have an Edelbrock 1406 on my AMC 304 and I love it. I installed an off-road needle kit and it runs great on rough terrain and on slopes. If you do much off-roading you should also have the floats adjusted slightly low.
The Holley Truck Avenger is another easy to work on carb. It is designed for off-road use.

Last edited:
IMO do NOT get a holley off raod carb. Noone I have talked to has been happy with theirs, including me.

IMO do NOT get a holley off raod carb. Noone I have talked to has been happy with theirs, including me.

:wtf:

I had a Holley Truck Avenger on an old Grand Wagoneer years back. It worked flawlessly everywhere I took that thing. Guys with Edelbrocks were stumbling and stalling all over the place. Even the guys with the "off road kit" installed.

:wtf:

I had a Holley Truck Avenger on an old Grand Wagoneer years back. It worked flawlessly everywhere I took that thing. Guys with Edelbrocks were stumbling and stalling all over the place. Even the guys with the "off road kit" installed.

LOL you want to buy mine, I'll sell it to you.

PMed ya.

Busa posted a great link for that carb. If you look at page 5 (labeled 4-3-5) the part labeled "Modulator Diaphragm Assembly" was what was wrong with mine... Pain to start and Idle and wanted to die out wen coming to a stop etc...

Agree with everyone else on the carb for now as well...

~ JR:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom