Best Driveshaft for a CJ5..

Best Driveshaft for a CJ5..

wariochavez

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
Hopefully someone can help me out.. I have a CJ5 with a 383 stroker engine and a TH 400 tranny with a Dana 300 Transfer Case . It also has a 2.5" Procomp lift as well as a 3" body lift. Question is what is the best type of driveshaft I can use. I have minimal space to work with. Would a double cardan shaft be my best option. I look forward to reading you guys' input. Thanks for the help..

how about shooting us a few pic of the underside of the Jeep, showing from the rear of the TC to the rear yolk area? That might give us a idea on how much room you have and the angles needed.
For most people, putting an auto Transmission in a CJ5 doesn't work, heck even the factory came out with the CJ7 and its longer wheelbase to get one in there.
But yours is in there so lets see what there is to work with...
I am pretty sure you will need a DC driveshaft at the least to make the angles work. I am glad to see that you didn't raise it more than 2.5" on the suspension!

DC shafts work extremely well in short applications, and the driveline you have is about as long as can be in A CJ5 , making the driveshaft extremely short. Once in and the pumpkin angle properly set you should have no issues.

I run a 16" long DC Tom Woods driveshaft with my rear diff angled up to match. I have run this shaft for 12 years with no issues. He is the only drive shaft maker in my eyes.

Dittoo on Tom Woods. In the long run, not expensive.

Give him a call. He really knows drive shafts. Have the data ready to talk seriously. If you don't have the basic measurements, you're wasting his time.

Double Cardigan Ended my eating u-joints. Have to rotate the axle to point at the t-case.

His website should have a diagram that shows you what measurements he will need for building the shaft. Fill that out and then call him. I would bet the shaft will be built and deilvered to your door within 3 days.

thanks guys I will give Mr. Tom a call and order it. I'll post fotos of the before and after see what you guys think.

I deal with these guys
I also wheel with them once a year at an event in Nevada
But any way these guys really know their shafts
do top notch work and really are 4x4 based
Adams Driveshaft, Inc. - Home

How necessary is it to get new drive shafts I looked at Tom Woods site why not just get new u joints installed or am I just not catching the whole drift? Just curious on how big of a difference it makes.

But anyways nice post ;)

How necessary is it to get new drive shafts I looked at Tom Woods site why not just get new u joints installed or am I just not catching the whole drift? Just curious on how big of a difference it makes.

But anyways nice post ;)
If all you need is U-joints buy U-joints. If you have a good drive shaft but the length isn't quite right a local shop can modify the length. If you need a new drive shaft Tom Wood's has heavy duty drive shafts at the same price as OEM drive shafts.
:chug:

If all you need is U-joints buy U-joints. If you have a good drive shaft but the length isn't quite right a local shop can modify the length. If you need a new drive shaft Tom Wood's has heavy duty drive shafts at the same price as OEM drive shafts.
:chug:

We have a couple cnc and manual lathes and mills at work may just for fun try and make my own....If it's possible.

Thanks bud.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom