Body mounting

Body mounting

Titan907

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ 5 304 3 Speed Fiberglass Tub and fenders
I was just reading in another thread that the polyurethane bushings are not to be used with fiberglass bodies. Is this true? All of the hardware to reinstall my tub is either missing or rotted. I was hoping to just buy a 1 inch body lift and get everything I need, but they all seem to be poly...:eek:

I hate to say this, but you need to fill out your specifics on your jeep in your profile, that way we can get info about your jeep.
Now I have not run a fiber tub and do not know about the poly bushings, but we have quite a few guys here who do so I am sure it will be answered soon. I personally would like to know why you should not.

Sorry, this one is a 1978 CJ5 AMC 304 , 3 Speed, Fiberglass Tub and fenders.

Sounds like we have the same project except mine is a CJ7 with a not installed fiberglass tub and fenders. I'm waiting for the installation DVD I ordered from 4x4 hardware before I order bushings etc....

Mine is missing a lot of things like the bracket that attaches the top end of the steering column. I'm not even sure what it looks like. At least I got a prefect frame that's already been sandblasted and painted, a new fiberglass body tub and fenders but I don't know what brand it is, and a perfect, complete, new looking under the dash wiring harness. Since I didn't take it apart, I'm missing a lot of the little odds and ends parts, so I'll be scrounging them up for a while.

Good luck with your project! Post some pics up when you get a chance!

It's been 15 years for you too? Too many coincidences! I built all metal 77 and 80 CJ-7s back in the mid 90s. Small world! :eek:
I'm trying to leave all my bad habits behind me...:) I really want to do this one up right. New harness, gauges, going through both diffs, Transmission , Transfer Case , rebuilding the AMC 304 while adding some hp with cam, intake, roller rockers, and MSD. I want to do fenderwell headers though to make some noise. 4 inch Pro comp springs and u-bolts should be here Friday... I'm shooting to have it done at the end of Summer and take my girl out Route 66 the whole way for some top down, doors off all-American fun.:D I notice by your other toys, we have quite the list of coincidences.;) I sold my 38 Top Gun a couple years ago, and I did spring for an Aprilia this time...:chug:

I'm trying to leave all my bad habits behind me...:) I really want to do this one up right. New harness, gauges, going through both diffs, Transmission , Transfer Case , rebuilding the AMC 304 while adding some hp with cam, intake, roller rockers, and MSD. I want to do fenderwell headers though to make some noise. 4 inch Pro comp springs and u-bolts should be here Friday... I'm shooting to have it done at the end of Summer and take my girl out Route 66 the whole way for some top down, doors off all-American fun.:D I notice by your other toys, we have quite the list of coincidences.;) I sold my 38 Top Gun a couple years ago, and I did spring for an Aprilia this time...:chug:

I hope you didn't get robbed when you sold the Top Gun!!! Two yesra ago gas was through the roof! Back then I couldn't afford the gas in my Baja with just a single 454!!! :eek:

I'm going a different rout with my Jeep. It came with a AMC 304 but I'm thinking of switching to a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l for better mileage and I don't want it a lot louder than stock because I plan to make it my daily driver.

I'm hoping to have mine painted, assembled and running by Memorial weekend.

I was just reading in another thread that the polyurethane bushings are not to be used with fiberglass bodies. Is this true? All of the hardware to reinstall my tub is either missing or rotted. I was hoping to just buy a 1 inch body lift and get everything I need, but they all seem to be poly...:eek:

From everything I have read and heard you should use rubber for the bushings. I do not know why though.

From everything I have read and heard you should use rubber for the bushings. I do not know why though.

From what I've read, urathane is too stiff and can lead to cracking the glass. The confusing thing is that all of the stock type rubber mounts I've seen advertised say "For Metal Bodies Only!"

I plan to put steel plates and not just fender washers between the bushings and the fiberglass for added support. I'm still waiting on the installation DVD I ordered to see how they say to do it before I buy the bushings.

I'm also planning to somehow attach the roll bar to the frame. I'll most likely fabricate it myself. I'm thinking of welding 2" diameter pipes to the front and rear of the roll bar mount plates sticking a few inches straight down. Then I'll use the hole saw in the top of the wheel wells for where they stick through. Then all I have to do is devise some mounts that attach to the frame with bars that go up and bolt to the ones sticking down from the roll bar. That way I won't have to cut them if I ever need to remove the bar for painting or repairing the tub.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom