Body work

Vick68

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 Cj5 71 AMC 360 4 spd Manual Front & Rear lockers,
1999 F250 extended cab 5spd Triton V10
I'm not new to working on engines and other parts of my cj, but I am completely new to doing body work. What do I need to go buy to be able to strip the previous PO crappy paint job so that I can see all the rust issues I have. Also what do I need to get to get when I discover all the rust. It aint eat up with rot but I can tell it has places under the paint.

Sand blast, soda blast, acid dip, Hot tank (I think the EPA did away with this one) Aircraft stripper, there are quite a few ways to remove paint. If I was going to blast the body I would pay somebody to do it, the equipment to do it are way bigger than I want to own.I guess I would like to own them but I don't want to pay for them and find a place in my shop for them.:D

I'm not new to working on engines and other parts of my cj, but I am completely new to doing body work. What do I need to go buy to be able to strip the previous PO crappy paint job so that I can see all the rust issues I have. Also what do I need to get to get when I discover all the rust. It aint eat up with rot but I can tell it has places under the paint.

A good electric sander should take the paint off pretty easy. Once you find the rust, replaceing it with new metal is the best option. If you are like me and not the best welder you can have someone do it for you. If the rust isnt that bad you can clean it up and use some POR15. My tub had more rust that I originally thought so I ended up getting a different tub.

Ive sanded quite a few tubs down by hand with a D/A sander, electric sander, or grinders with stripping wheels on em. Ive also used the air craft stripper method. My next tub will go to the media blasters .. For the amount of time and strippng material wasted to strip it down to bare metal. Ill just pay some one to do it. you should be able to find a local business that will strip and treat it for rust for less the $600. Definately treat any exposed metal as soon as your done exposing it, it will surface rust fast.

Ditto on the " have a pro blast it". It will get in to all the nooks and crannies.

A pro won't wrap the flat panels. They also use plasic needs for blasting that won't even take off the zinc chromate coating.

They will also take out all the old bondo.

If the support structure is shot you maybe looking for a new/used tub.

Put some photos on if you can.

I'm going to load some pics up tomorrow I hope.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom