Both back-up lights out?

Both back-up lights out?

Shazam

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5 Renegade with '74 304 V8 & Edelbrock manifold & carb, Heddman headers & sidepipes, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30, AMC 20
Just noticed this and I'm still learning my around a CJ. Any ideas what might have caused this out of the blue? Many thanks.

The switch is on the top of the Transmission , easiest way to get to it is remove the floor plate. The switch is the ground side of the circuit, find the wire at the light and try grounding it and work both ways from there.:cool:

Just noticed this and I'm still learning my around a CJ. Any ideas what might have caused this out of the blue? Many thanks.

A multimeter will tell you. Check the voltage at the bulbs when you are in reverse. It is possible (although unlikely) that both bulbs are out. If you dont get 12 volts there I would think it is most likely it's the switch in the tranny or a connection. Have you done any work on the jeep lately? You might want to check to see if the switch came disconnected. The switch is at the top of the tranny, behind the shift lever.

With my T-18 the switch is in the back and I have had problems with it not staying seated in Transmission housing, the switch tests and works fine but is only a press fit and a bit lose in the Transmission so when you go into R it wants to push the switch out of position. seems like it should have a more secure mount used.
Long story short make sure yours is fully pressed into the Transmission housing if all else checks out.

now thats interesting.:cool:

With my T-18 the switch is in the back and I have had problems with it not staying seated in Transmission housing, the switch tests and works fine but is only a press fit and a bit lose in the Transmission so when you go into R it wants to push the switch out of position. seems like it should have a more secure mount used.
Long story short make sure yours is fully pressed into the Transmission housing if all else checks out.

Thanks guys. I just had a clutch kit installed. Called the shop and they'll QA it on Saturday. I'm sure thats the issue. Many thanks!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom