Buick 231 question

Buick 231 question

Jimmy Jeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1964 CJ5
I currently have a ford 260 in a 1964 CJ5 , married to a T-90 . I have the opportunity to replace the Ford engine with a Buick 231. The Ford engine fits tight and will heat up in hot weather at the idle. I've had the Ford for 20 plus years. I'm debating swapping for the V6. I'm currently stripped down to frame and have to make a decision soon (wife's orders). Any pros or cons on the Buick?

they make good power for a small package and those years of jeeps were meant for that size motor. anyone who has em loves em. i don't know all that much about older jeeps, but there are people here that can give you a better opinion on the situation.

I have a 231 in my 56 and i love it. I actually have a bell casing that already has all of the grinding done on it. You will love having a 231 in your jeep though. Great power and the fuel economy isn't all that bad either. Make sure you have a big enough radiator. Im running a radiator out of a 81 CJ5 and it keeps it plenty cool on the road with out the fan. I do have to use the fan wheeling though. My last radiator which was smaller wouldn't really cool the engine enough. If you have any questions about getting it in I can help you out.

Also if you want that bell casing let me know we we'll figure something out.

Thanks for the information. What grinding are you referring to on the bellhousing? Do you run aftermarket headers or use existing exhaust manifolds?

There isn't a whole lot of room for that bell housing so you will have to do some grinding to make it fit around everything else that's in there. Nothing to major but it is a pain in the <-BAD WORD->. As for headers mine are not stock but there is no reason you can not run stock headers.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom