Camping/Trail Food

Pretty cool. I'm dissappointed that they don't have my favorite MRE meals though. Ham Slice, Chilli Mac, and Omlet!

I like the "idea" of the MRE, I just haven't found a meal I would actualy consider eating. Not that MRE's are bad.....just don't like the meal choises, I like to keep it plain and simple.

Please take a moment to read the nutritional values. A days worth of calories, and a weeks worth of sodium.

I believe MRE's were made originally to sustain a soldier for an entire day in a combat environment, with a single meal. Probably why calories or so high. Probably aren't suitable meals for me while I'm at home sitting on the coach watching a John Wayne marathon.

when i was in middle school a buddy of mines dad bought a :dung: ton of those things along with about 10 2 1/2 ton trucks at a military surplus auction. we ate em everyday during the summer and camped out. the fun part was driving the trucks around their property raising hell.

Oh and I thought this would be a thread about dutch oven cooking, sorry

I will be remembering that last post when this weekend I will have a dutch oven with a beef cowboy stew on the tripod over the fire, a loaf of sourdough bread cooking in one dutch oven and apple baked beans in another. My buddies are going to be making a peach cobbler in a dutch oven for desert and we will toast to man food as we sit down to eat, oh, did I mention that in the mornings we will be having Daves famous Breakfast, a hashbrown meat vegetable style scramble baked in a dutch oven with 3 kinds of sausage and bacon and that after the after dinner libations are over the stew is a finishing round soaking up a fresh batch of biscuits baked in dutch ovens.
But I will concede that maybe we will be missing something:wasted::dunno::rolleyes:

Cans- lots of cans. Beans, soup, chili, sketti-o's. No refrigeration, all u need is a fire to toss em in and a stick to get em out. Falls out of the jeep down a cliff? No problem, mebbe a dent. Need somethin sharp to skin the rodent you ran over? lids are sharp as s#it. Need a wheel chock, weapon, patch metal? get ol' chunky from under the seat. The possibilities are endless.:D

Please take a moment to read the nutritional values. A days worth of calories, and a weeks worth of sodium.

A daily meal list for me when I was over in the sand: :eek:
Breakfast
MRE
Lunch and 3 ham sandwiches
MRE
Dinner
MRE

I ate this everyday, not to mention the gallons of Mango gatorade/tang?
I forget which but wish I could still find it, mmmmmm...........

Cans- lots of cans. Beans, soup, chili, sketti-o's. No refrigeration, all u need is a fire to toss em in and a stick to get em out. Falls out of the jeep down a cliff? No problem, mebbe a dent. Need somethin sharp to skin the rodent you ran over? lids are sharp as s#it. Need a wheel chock, weapon, patch metal? get ol' chunky from under the seat. The possibilities are endless.:D
Post of the year

A daily meal list for me when I was over in the sand: :eek:
Breakfast
MRE
Lunch and 3 ham sandwiches
MRE
Dinner
MRE

I ate this everyday, not to mention the gallons of Mango gatorade/tang?
I forget which but wish I could still find it, mmmmmm...........

But you were very active over there, therefore burned more calories.

Should be noted to open the lid before putting in fire.
Otherwise goes BOOM! :eek:

Should be noted to open the lid before putting in fire.
Otherwise goes BOOM! :eek:

That is why I like the pull top cans- built in pressure relief valve :p

Love the can!
Don't forget Spam.
National food of Hawaii i think.
You live in Maui right Buuushman? True?
No utencils needed other than a forked stick.
Cooked over a fire, crispy on the outside, tender,& juicy on the inside. :drool:
Of course you could always just set the can on the exhaust manifold too.
I'm hungry. :D

Last edited:
Love the can!
Don't forget Spam.
National food of Hawaii i think.
You live in Maui right Buuushman? True?
No utencils needed other than a forked stick.
Cooked over a fire, crispy on the outside, tender,& juicy on the inside. :drool:
Of course you could always just set the can on the exhaust manifold too.
I'm hungry. :D
Yep- spam is everywhere out here- potted meat is not on my list of favorites but if it grew on trees you'd be bonkin' yer head on cans in every Hawaiian yard.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$110.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks