Can you ID this motor?

Can you ID this motor?

Sasquach

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5, 258 w/4.0head, Mopar MPI, P.S., P.B.,Tilt wheel, No stereo, t-18, t-20, amc 20, dana-30 w/tru-trac, Warn full float w/locking hubs & Detroit locker in the AMC.
1964 CJ3B, 4-134
1952 M100 trailer
Starting to think about how to proceed with my 3B and curious what engine this sweet CJ2 has in it, obviously you would have to recognise the exhaust or know the guy (or be lucky enough to own it).

I bet it's a chevy SB.
that, IMHO, is an incredible bad place for an ax and shovel. One wet muddy slit away from singing soprano.
:eek:

Starting to think about how to proceed with my 3B and curious what engine this sweet CJ2 has in it, obviously you would have to recognise the exhaust or know the guy (or be lucky enough to own it).

that is one sweet ride

I would venture a guess the that it was the SBC as well. Wasn't that the standard location for the axe and shovel? I thought I had seen those there on some of the military Jeeps.

What do you think the cut-out in the hood is for?

I don't think it's an old school small block Chevy. The exhaust ports aren't siamese. The heat shield on the exhaust manifold looks a lot like the one on my 2004 GTO. My guess is that the engine is new generation LSx series small block.

I've seen pix of that jeep somewhere, can't remember where though.

I don't think it's an old school small block Chevy. The exhaust ports aren't siamese. The heat shield on the exhaust manifold looks a lot like the one on my 2004 GTO. My guess is that the engine is new generation LSx series small block.

Derf, I'm with you on that as it is not old school type exhaust, looks a bit Toyota to me?

I've seen pix of that jeep somewhere, can't remember where though.

CRS, I think I saved it from a post on this site a few mos. back.;)

I saved the pic cuse I like what the guy did and wanted to poach on some of his ideas even though I have no intension of going that extreem with my 3b. I think I want to repower the thing though if I can keep it from causing a snowball effect on the rest of the drivetrain. I am not going to cut up the body and I don't want to change axles but I have no problem kissing the 134 goodbye(sorry baja).

I would guess the 4.3 V6 would be good, or a small VW diesel. not too extreme, but does give you some more punch without going extreme.

I'd drop in the chevy 4.8l v8 if I was going modern.
Built off the same architecture as the ls series.
Makes 300hp and like 320tq.
But the vw diesel would be cool in a small rig.
If you want different drop in a 2.0l vw air-cooled motor mated to a ford Transmission .
Seen it done once in a rock buggy.

Just imagine open the hood and people are like wtf.
A Subaru boxer motor would be cool and the aftermarket support is there.

I'd drop in the chevy 4.8l v8 if I was going modern.
Built off the same architecture as the ls series.
Makes 300hp and like 320tq.
But the vw diesel would be cool in a small rig.
If you want different drop in a 2.0l vw air-cooled motor mated to a ford Transmission .
Seen it done once in a rock buggy.

Just imagine open the hood and people are like wtf.
A Subaru boxer motor would be cool and the aftermarket support is there.

Pretty sure I don't want 300HP in something as small as the 3B and it would leed to a complete upgrade of the drivetrain before I know what happened I have 20K in the thing.
The diesel is interesting but arent' the VW's kind of a dog?
Something on the order of a V6 is what I'm thinking but which one?

looks to be a 5.2 vortec V-8 from the looks of exhaust manifold

The VW diesels are pretty peppy, and they get around 45 mpg's out of them. Another option would be the 2.8 CRD out a Liberty, or the 3.0 out of the Grand Cherokee. Any one of them would move that 3B around pretty good, and have awesome torque off road.

The VW diesels are pretty peppy, and they get around 45 mpg's out of them.
Untill you put it in a Jeep.:laugh:
Thanks for that though, I'm gona look into those options.

Just back from advance adapters and to keep the T-90 my only choices are chev. V8 and the 4.3V6
If I scrap the T-90 then things open up a bit for the dana 18 but I need to find out what one I've got cuse there 4 dif ones with dif spline counts.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom