(Carb/Choke Question) Red wires normal ops

Warthog

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade,
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Problem: choke is not working

This red wire on the lower side of the pic is going to the choke housing/unit.

My question is, when does this wire deliver power? and if there is no power thru this wire, where do i need to start looking.

If the wire is functioning properly, could i have a bad choke housing/unit?

I looked at the Docs link up top but it was to small for me to make anything out. I traced the wire back to the wiring harness where it split. One went one direction and the other went to a component on the lower rear passenger side of the engine block.

Thanks

That wire should be hot (+12VDC) whenever the key is in the run position. Have you checked it with a meter?

If you don't have +12VDC with the key in the run position I would start looking at fuses, and then start tracing the wire backwards to look for problems there.

I'll bet $$$ that it's your choke that's gone bad, hey it happens. Here's a link for a new one.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

I did actually check it with a meter and got no voltage. Then i found out why, it was not connected at the component on the engine block. So with the connection hooked up, this wire should be hot at all times with the key on?

The reason i haven't checked it is bc the jeep is 5 hours away from me and i only get a chance every now and then to work on it, At the time i was checking the connections on this wire, i got a call and had to go to the hospital where we found out some bad news about about my mother.

So when i get back and hook the connection back up. If there is no power to the choke. what could be the issue?

If there is power to the choke, then most likely i have a bad choke right?

Thanks again for the help

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, I hope everything turns out okay.

Are you in the Air Force?

About your choke question, what we need to find for you is a wiring diagram, that'll help you out the most. What Engine/Carb are we talking about? L6/V8? If there isn't +12VDC on that wire, you've got to figure out why. Then deal with weather or not the choke is working correctly or not.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, I hope everything turns out okay.

Are you in the Air Force?

About your choke question, what we need to find for you is a wiring diagram, that'll help you out the most. What Engine/Carb are we talking about? L6/V8? If there isn't +12VDC on that wire, you've got to figure out why. Then deal with weather or not the choke is working correctly or not.

Thanks,
They diagnosed her with terminal pancreatic cancer

Yes I have been in since 01 acurrently have orders to whiteman afb in misourri. But because of the news about my mother, i am trying to get a humanitarian assignment to keesler afb in mississippi.

Next time i'm back in mississippi with the jepp i will recheck all connections and check the wire again. It is a L6.
Thanks again

Oh yeah i tried looking at the schematic under the docs link and couldn't see anything bc it was so small

I've been in the Navy since '98. A long time ago, November '99 to April '00, I went to a school on Keesler AFB. I liked it down there.

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom, it sucks. If we can help in any way let us know.

Do you have any manuals for your CJ? Even a Chiltons or a Haynes manual should have the electrical diagram in it. A great book that I've had for a few years is the Jeep CJ Rebuilders Manual by Moses Ludel, it's a great reference with some great pics in it. When you get back to your CJ let us know what you find :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom