Carb Conversion

Carb Conversion

jamesl

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ5, 75 Scout II, 08 F350 4x4
restoring a 78 CJ5 , AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 with Carter 1bbl. I'm replacing the Carter with a 2 bbl Weber kit and replacing the exhaust manifold with a header to loose the egr valve, also pulling out the vapor canister and related vent piping/valves back to the tank. Looking for some feedback on the proper way to vent the fuel tank now. Also, do I need the OE fuel return line back to the tank with the Weber? My first inclination is to loop a hose between the two vent ports on the tank, block off the return line and use a vented fuel cap. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track...any feedback or suggestions appreciated.... :)

restoring a 78 CJ5 , AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 with Carter 1bbl. I'm replacing the Carter with a 2 bbl Weber kit and replacing the exhaust manifold with a header to loose the egr valve, also pulling out the vapor canister and related vent piping/valves back to the tank. Looking for some feedback on the proper way to vent the fuel tank now. Also, do I need the OE fuel return line back to the tank with the Weber? My first inclination is to loop a hose between the two vent ports on the tank, block off the return line and use a vented fuel cap. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track...any feedback or suggestions appreciated.... :)

I did exactly the same strip out to my 78 years ago. You can lose everything, but you have to keep the original type of fuel filter with the dual port for a return line. It actually loops the fuel to cool it down and prevent vapor locking. Here's what mine looks like all gut down.
008a.jpg

I did exactly the same strip out to my 78 years ago. You can lose everything, but you have to keep the original type of fuel filter with the dual port for a return line. It actually loops the fuel to cool it down and prevent vapor locking. Here's what mine looks like all gut down.
008a.jpg
Call me Dave, thanks for the info, I'll keep the return line. Hope to fire it up in the next few weeks for the first time, didn't want any surprises.
Jamesl

There is a specific orientation for the filter. Be sure you have the return line stacked OVER the carb fuel supply line. Return on top, carb on bottom, just like a double barrel over under shotgun.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks