Carb Issues

Carb Issues

Fastatv

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ-7, 360 V-8, Turbo 400 trans, Quadratrac, Dana 30 up front, AMC 20 in rear with LOKKA locker, Otherwise stock...and rusty, but FUN!
Hi, I'm new on here but have been reading and learning about Jeeps on the site for a while now. Thought I might ask a question, maybe get some ideas from others. I have a 76 CJ7 that I bought a few months ago. It has a 360 installed, and a Motorcraft 2bbl carb. I have gone thru the carb....found some parts missing, the seat baffle and the accelerator pin which is used to weight the pump ball. Anyway, when going slightly down hill, the idle slows...almost to a stall. Extreme up hill gets a little rough running, but much better than any down hill. The uphill issue is caused by the float being set too high ( I have had the float everywhere in this thing ). If I set the float ( lower ) to factory specs, the engine will always die on just about any downhill endeavor. I have built a many a carbs.....but I just don't get whats going on with this. Could the fuel tank pick up have anything to do with it? Any ideas would be a appreciated. Fastatv

Fuel tank pickup socks can clog up, have you ever stopped to think about all the :dung: that has been collecting in your tank after all these years? The fuel pump is another possibility along with kinks and cracks in the fuel line.

Fuel tank pickup socks can clog up, have you ever stopped to think about all the :dung: that has been collecting in your tank after all these years? The fuel pump is another possibility along with kinks and cracks in the fuel line.

Hmmm....as I mentioned, I have been rebuilding carbs for about about 35 years....still do it professionally....part of my business. All the fuel line, fuel pump has been replaced. The tank was dropped and cleaned....new sock in place. Again, wondering if the pick up is turned in an incorrect direction. Guess I'll drop it and find out the correct direction.....if I can....lol

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom