Carter Carb

Carter Carb

1984 CJ7

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 258 (rebuilt), 5 speed (rebuilt), softtop, Goodyear DuraTrac's
So, I do not do hard core off-roading, just a fire lane here and there at about 3500 feet to sea level. I have been told to do the EFI conversion for the most reliable performance. Due to the cost, I am not sure I want to do that since it is a weekend driver.

Do we have a lot of members here still using this carb with reliable success even in the mountains? I have to pass emissions so I can't change to a Weber.

I want to make sure that my back country trail trip goes smooth this summer!

I never thought the carter was a "bad" carb, just not the best carb. Keep it clean it works well enough. If emissions is a problem keep it. I love my motor craft and would never spend that much money for a weber, but that is just me. :D The MC ran a bit rich in the mountains but not too bad and as most of the time I was running as slow as possible, I think it spent most of the time on the idle jets.:D

So, I do not do hard core off-roading, just a fire lane here and there at about 3500 feet to sea level. I have been told to do the EFI conversion for the most reliable performance. Due to the cost, I am not sure I want to do that since it is a weekend driver.

Do we have a lot of members here still using this carb with reliable success even in the mountains? I have to pass emissions so I can't change to a Weber.

I want to make sure that my back country trail trip goes smooth this summer!

Excellent, thanks for the info. I might have it rebuilt and just keep using it. it does idle perfectly, just hesitates on throttle. I ran some fuel system cleaner through it and it did improve so I assume it just needs a good cleaning.

Another thing about those smog legal fuel injection kits is the removal of all that emissions :dung: under the hood that has to be maintained to run correctly. Better gas mileage and performance are more advantages. There are a few writeups on the net on what it takes to install them.

True, i justs heard tht they EFI is a pain to setup.

Ditto on the Carter not being a "bad" carb. I've run one over 7,000 feet. Yeah, EFI might be nice but so would a lot of other mods. If you want to replace it, you might want to look at a Solex. Simple and easy to install.

Gotcha, since it's notmy DD I could probably handle it. I might once i get more funds for the CJ. I just want to make sure the ol'Carter will be reliable enough for a weekend forest trip this spring.

Gotcha, since it's notmy DD I could probably handle it. I might once i get more funds for the CJ. I just want to make sure the ol'Carter will be reliable enough for a weekend forest trip this spring.
The carter is acutally a good carb in my opinion if you can do the nutter bypass and team rush upgrade which is what I have. But I also do not have to pass a smog sniff test in my area.:)

Yes, i wish i didn't have to pass Emissions...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom