Carter Carb

Carter Carb

1984 CJ7

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 258 (rebuilt), 5 speed (rebuilt), softtop, Goodyear DuraTrac's
So, I do not do hard core off-roading, just a fire lane here and there at about 3500 feet to sea level. I have been told to do the EFI conversion for the most reliable performance. Due to the cost, I am not sure I want to do that since it is a weekend driver.

Do we have a lot of members here still using this carb with reliable success even in the mountains? I have to pass emissions so I can't change to a Weber.

I want to make sure that my back country trail trip goes smooth this summer!

I never thought the carter was a "bad" carb, just not the best carb. Keep it clean it works well enough. If emissions is a problem keep it. I love my motor craft and would never spend that much money for a weber, but that is just me. :D The MC ran a bit rich in the mountains but not too bad and as most of the time I was running as slow as possible, I think it spent most of the time on the idle jets.:D

So, I do not do hard core off-roading, just a fire lane here and there at about 3500 feet to sea level. I have been told to do the EFI conversion for the most reliable performance. Due to the cost, I am not sure I want to do that since it is a weekend driver.

Do we have a lot of members here still using this carb with reliable success even in the mountains? I have to pass emissions so I can't change to a Weber.

I want to make sure that my back country trail trip goes smooth this summer!

Excellent, thanks for the info. I might have it rebuilt and just keep using it. it does idle perfectly, just hesitates on throttle. I ran some fuel system cleaner through it and it did improve so I assume it just needs a good cleaning.

Another thing about those smog legal fuel injection kits is the removal of all that emissions :dung: under the hood that has to be maintained to run correctly. Better gas mileage and performance are more advantages. There are a few writeups on the net on what it takes to install them.

True, i justs heard tht they EFI is a pain to setup.

Ditto on the Carter not being a "bad" carb. I've run one over 7,000 feet. Yeah, EFI might be nice but so would a lot of other mods. If you want to replace it, you might want to look at a Solex. Simple and easy to install.

Gotcha, since it's notmy DD I could probably handle it. I might once i get more funds for the CJ. I just want to make sure the ol'Carter will be reliable enough for a weekend forest trip this spring.

Gotcha, since it's notmy DD I could probably handle it. I might once i get more funds for the CJ. I just want to make sure the ol'Carter will be reliable enough for a weekend forest trip this spring.
The carter is acutally a good carb in my opinion if you can do the nutter bypass and team rush upgrade which is what I have. But I also do not have to pass a smog sniff test in my area.:)

Yes, i wish i didn't have to pass Emissions...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks