cheroke 4l auto to cj ??

cheroke 4l auto to cj ??

essexmo

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
my rides 1983 CJ7 1996 chevy cavilier 1987 jeep cherokee 1980 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow 1961 series 1 E type Jaguar convertable 1960 land rover
imthinking of buying a jeep cj ill be looking at it tommorow its a rolling chassis for 100 bucks and i have a 87 jeep cheroke as a doner jeep the engine and drivetrain runs excellant but the body has a lot of cancer my question is will the 4l and automatic fit the cj and what years will it fit if any and also what other parts will fit from the cherokee it has tilt cruise ac power steering power brakes and 31 inch goodrich tires thanks in advance

what year is the CJ??

i think the cj is early 80s

that ill find out tommorow its under 5 feet of snow im just wondering what years my 87 drivetrain would fit ???

that ill find out tommorow its under 5 feet of snow im just wondering what years my 87 drivetrain would fit ???

I hope some one will come along and tell you diferently but I think that this is do able and will require a fair amount of "creative engineering". This sounds like fun but a lot more than a weedend project.
I'll be watching !!:lpopcorn::beer:

thanks ill be taking lots of pics i worked for rolls in England im retired now i use to make body panels for the silver shadows so the bodywork wont be a problem i like projects im a master blacksmith and have worked on engines a bit i love the cj its never to late to learn new things

thanks ill be taking lots of pics i worked for rolls in England im retired now i use to make body panels for the silver shadows so the bodywork wont be a problem i like projects im a master blacksmith and have worked on engines a bit i love the cj its never to late to learn new things

We should get on fine, I doubt most here would know a hardy from a fuller or a flatter from a pair of bolt tongs.

We should get on fine, I doubt most here would know a hardy from a fuller or a flatter from a pair of bolt tongs.
when i told the customs i had an english wheel in the box they said it wouldnt fit canadian cars :confused: i diddnt want to mention the shrinking dollies or they might have suggested a punture repair kit

when i told the customs i had an english wheel in the box they said it wouldnt fit canadian cars :confused:
LMAO:laugh::laugh::laugh:

4.0/auto in a CJ is deffinetly doable. I see 2 main problems with your donor vehicle though. The AW4 trany in a 87 XJ has a 21 spline out put while your CJ's Dana 300 Transfer Case has a 23 spline input. The only other thing.....and it realy isn't a problem so much as a complication....87-90 XJ's use a Renault/Bendix (renix) contol system that is fairly complicated and is also tied in with the transmition control system.

Like I said, its doable, but the wiring will be a hasle and you'll have to swap out the trany output shaft to make it work. I'm doing a 4.0 swap in my 85 CJ7 , but using the motor and control system from a '95 XJ scince it soooooooooo much simpler.
:) Good luck, and post lots of pic's!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom