CJ-7 Color combo question

CJ-7 Color combo question

baddiesel

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ7 304 V8 3 spd, D20TC, D30, AMC20, fiberglass tub, Edelbrock performer intake, terrible Carter AFB carb.
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7, SR5, TRD, reg cab, short bed, stock.
Currently, my CJ is being stripped and prepped for a make-over. I understand that color and color combinations are a personal preference issue. I'm painting the body Ferrari yellow (inside & out), and the hard top will be Ford Wimbleton white (it's an off-white color). My question is: were there any CJ's with that color combo from the factory?

Wow...that would be a hard one to research. You would need to go back and look at the color codes on vin plates to see that and not sure the hard tops would be included with that.

While they are not CJ's, I found this site interesting for seeing lots of different color combos. Maybe find something close to yours to get an idea.

Rare colored Wranglers - JeepForum.com

My first jeep was a 1972 CJ5 , powder blue with a white (yes I said white, try keeping that clean in the Pacific NW) Whitco top. Having said that, here are the 1976 and up jeep paint codes from CJOffroad.com and I don’t see Ferrari Yellow or Ford Wimbledon White. (I tried to get their link to work and couldn’t, don’t know if they are still around or what.)

I think from the factory all the hardtops were black but the ones on the limiteds they matched the color of the Jeep.

Thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate the color chart. I only used the Ferrari yellow, because I could easily obtain a PPG code. I also like GM's competition yellow. I am not good at colors at all, I have a little color blindness. Again, thank you very much for all the inputs and info.

IIRC I think that the CJ7 hard tops were available in 4 colors, black, tan, white and blue. I don't remember however, what the deal was with body color or options packages for top colors.

The only one I remember was that golden eagles all got a tan (I think it's called spice, maybe nutmeg) top. The color options for a Golden Eagle were white, brown, black, red and green, all of them came with a tan top and interior.

I also remember that the Levi (Edition) 's blue, blue body and blue interior, you could get either a white or a blue colored top.

As for the rest of the package options, Limited , Renegade etc, I honestly don't remember.

Here's a pic I found on the rallyetops site, with a good pic of the different colors of CJ7 hardtops

used-hardtops-lg.jpg

Why Used Truck Hardtops Are Not a Good Deal

So basically what I'm telling you in a very long winded way is that it's completely up to you. My 2¢, a Ferarri yellow CJ7 with black interior and a black top would like sweet.

I agree with Elwood on the color combos but I think that Renegades only came in black. Still, what colors you use with your jeep is your call. We don’t have to like it, only you do.

Thanks for your comments. I was kicking around the idea of painting the top black, but thought it would be too hot in the spring. I kinda-sorta lost the argument......Okay, I'm still working on that one.:eek: I'd prefer black, because of the contrasting color differential. The interior will be trimmed in black, and the dash & tub will be yellow. Thanks again for your comments!:D

I don't ever remember seeing a factory blue hardtop. I think there were 2 shades of brown and then black and white. My Renegade came with a white hardtop as standard. I don't recall if I picked the color or not.

Alright, now for the final update, and.....I got my way. The tub will be Ferrari yellow (inside & out). The fiberglass hardtop will be gloss black exterior, with a gloss white interior. Seats, steering wheel/column, roll bar & bumpers will be gloss black. Thanks again for all your comments and inputs. :notworthy: I'll post photos when it comes out of the shop.:D

Alright, now for the final update, and.....I got my way. The tub will be Ferrari yellow (inside & out). The fiberglass hardtop will be gloss black exterior, with a gloss white interior. Seats, steering wheel/column, roll bar & bumpers will be gloss black. Thanks again for all your comments and inputs. :notworthy: I'll post photos when it comes out of the shop.:D

Sounds like a hot combo to me!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom