Suspension CJ-YJ Spring Convesion

Suspension CJ-YJ Spring Convesion

Rustkill

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7 258 engine.
CJ --YJ spring conversion questions please.

I have looked at a few threads, so far most are over 10 years old. That I have read so far.

I am not a mechanic and stupid to boot.

I have an 85 CJ I am going to restore into an every day driver. I got the Jeep in 1989 so I have owned it for a very long time. When I say restore, I am going take it apart and future proof it from rust and put back so its solid. Will have to learn a lot. runs great now.

The spring conversion worth it? Jeep will only be driven on the road no off road stuff

I have read the conversion gives a better ride. True? way better? Still swap if not off road.

Would the conversion add value or take away value if trying to restore? Meaning would a Jeep purest say I made a big mistake. Or does the improvement outweigh the snobbery? When I die, I want people to be happy to own my jeep!

Will the spring swap lift the Jeep on its on? If so, how much? I am okay with a small amount but I don’t want to add much lift. I would not add a lift kit. Not into red-necking it up (not trying to offend anyone) Just not into big tires and stuff

Any company that sells a kit to check out? I guess I could piece it out but need to learn more so I don’t buy the wrong things.

Would need 4 YJ springs, correct? would not come in the kit? Can they be found new? The rear ones just fit the CJ but the fronts will need new parts?
There is lot more I need to read and understand.

I have also read that it only changes a small amount and is not be worth it on my year model? Don’t want to get crazy and change out axles and stuff so maybe it’s not worth the worry and I just answered my own question?

Swapping the springs pretty easy nothing crazy? don’t have to change lots of other things to fit?

Any video on YouTube or elsewhere to check out?

What am I missing? to watch out for?

Other questions I should be asking?

Or forget the whole thing ?

Thanks for the help.

Scott

You have a lot going on here. So I will try to answer everything but keep in mind it's just my opinion and others are the same way. They may agree with me and they may not but in the end it's your Jeep you do as you please with it .

Yes there is a complete kit for the YJ conversion and I prefer old man emu. They make quality products but it comes at a cost which is why I haven't done it yet (keep in mind I said yet) the YJ springs are somewhere in the neighborhood of .25-.50" wider than CJ springs so they provide a smoother ride quality over CJ springs even more so with worn out CJ springs.

Ome typically has some sort of lift as they are designed and built in Australia for use in the outback. I believe they're smallest lift kit is 2" but don't quote me on that. Price varies depending on options from light duty (basically stock to heavy duty meaning you have a ton of :dung: hanging off the Jeep adding weight) most people don't realize this and get a medium or heavy duty setups then complain about ride quality as they bounce up and down the road.

Value on the Jeep when you are done is really what you decide I can guarantee you most will not even know unless you tell them. The biggest thing is if you're happy with it for the rest of your life.

I'm a long time Jeep owner and back yard mechanic I've seen every kind of Jeep from mall crawlers to completely stock and I will tell you there will always be someone who hates it and someone who loves it. As long as you love it then to heck with the rest.

As far as some of your other questions if you're on a budget then just a new set of factory leafs will make a world of difference under a 40 year old jeep.

If you want to piece a kit together you can but you will need need shackles (wider leafs will same narrow top for frame mount) YJ springs (shop around same principle applies with light to heavy duty and try to avoid Chinese made springs) shocks depending on how much lift most shocks are rated 0-2" lift and so on. And yes new spring perches under the axle but no need to relocate anything.

Lastly post some pictures we love pictures.

If I missed anything I will go back and edit..

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

The conversion is simple. Its been about ten years since I did it, and it ride so much better than the stock springs did. I choose to go with a 2 1/2" in lift, Old Man Emu (OME) springs. They make (or did back then) different spring rates, light-heavy, and I went with heavys because I take mine out in the desert camping for 4-5 days at a time and a fair amount of gear gets thrown in the back. So much so, that after the first trip with the new heavy springs I ended up ordering new main springs and doubling them up, and when empty still rides great.
Again, been a while since I did it but if memory serves me correctly stock YJ springs will raise a CJ 1 inch. Besides springs, all you'll need is front YJ spring hangers and new U-bolts.
Its all bolt on , so easily put back to stock if thats a concern. For me, it made a night and day difference in driveabilty and comfort. My only other advice is do your research on sping manufacturers, some (usually the less expensive brands) will not ride as nice. OME was the most expensive at the time I did mine, worth every penny.

Here's my 85 with 1.5" shackle lift and 1" body lift for about 2.5" total for height reference running on 31x10.5 15 stock wheels.0097572d46d22ad874073347af6f219f.jpg2722a2baf50cee16c45a9f8e4d4aa59e.jpgdf8423d36ac0c3808735379748eaae66.jpg570c7036b650bbaa4f2c2b7a17578816.jpgd7afeb00b33f0b507462ef4560c27554.jpg12cfba209d41e46d044b01cdbfbb0ca5.jpg

BDS makes a kit for this conversion. It includes new shackle hangers (since the YJ springs are 2.5" where the CJ springs are 2"), mounting plates with u-bolts, and hanger bushings. You add your desired YJ springs (stock height or lifted), spring bushings and shackles. You grind off and drill out the rivets holding the existing hangers, bolt/weld on the new ones, the front hangers are moved forward one hole length, and then install the new stuff.
YJ Spring Conversion Kit
bds-124021-main.jpg
Now another easier option is to use offset shackles. These allow you to keep your existing 2" wide hangers and use the YJ 2.5" springs. Not really the most recommended way to go, but would work; especially for just road driving since you said you're doing a daily driver and not off roading a bunch. Your concern about some future "purist" would really be valid here.
PAG greasable shackle set.jpg
I've also seen people just use stock CJ shackles with 1/4" "spacer" washers on the top part to achieve the 2.5" width with a 2" hanger. Again, would work, but get ready for chiding from most anyone who sees it. Here's a pic of one installed:
spacers.jpg

Your ride quality is indeed improved with the YJ springs due to the wider width of the springs, the slightly longer length of the YJ springs, and the YJ springs' bushings are also larger, meaning less friction between the leafs. Also keep in mind your wheel base will increase slightly over 1 inch partly because of the longer length of the springs, but mostly because you are also moving the front hanger forward some as well (unless you just keep the existing hangers and use longer/offset shackles).

Good advice here...

I was in your position about eight years ago with mine and opted to go with the BDS kit. Great quality/warranty, but, simply put, it's stiff.

If road manners and ride are your priority, I'd go OME. They're as renowned for performance on the pavement as they are off it.

With offset shackles like TSB8C posted, it's a no-brainer

Shackle reversal WITH stock CJ springs is simpler for this goal.

With a shackle reversal, make sure your front drive shaft has enough travel (to compress) so when the springs flatten out under compression or when braking hard, you don't bottom out the shaft and drive it into the x-fer case.

Not knocking anyone here, but in my mind, for a daily driver, the disadvantage with a shackle reversal is that when you brake the front end tries to load up while the axle is sliding back at the same time, and the front end dives. This pulls weight off the front tires when you are relying on them to do very important work. It's the opposite of what you want. With a standard orientation shackle setup, the front tries to rise, countering the natural dive from weight transfer, forcing more energy into the front tires which helps them bite harder, faster. It also gives you more traction to steer if you need to and aren't locked up. To me, if you are building for off road only, the shackle reversal is certainly viable, but if you are going to be largely on road it just isn't worth it IMO.

thank you all for the fast replies. I have not started anything yet. I picked up a few things here and there like OEM seats and I have been doing a lot of watching videos and reading, making lists of what i would like and need.

as far as money I work in the film business, and with all the striking, I have not really worked this year. I am hoping, once I get back to work to start getting things done. I am going to start taking the Jeep apart in the next few weeks slowly and labeling parts and taking notes of what i need to replace (bolts and stuff) and work my way around. the biggest problem is i don't have a lot of room may just be doing this in my garage and it's only an 8-foot ceiling. my plan is to take the jeep apart myself and do things i can do myself (which will not be much) rebuilding the heater box and so on. I have never welded and stuff like that before and dont have the equipment. I will send stuff out to get done here and there then put it back together. I just thought i would try this instead of just giving the jeep to a shop with an open wallet. maybe i would like the hobby but maybe i am stupid and should give to a shop. I installed fuel injection on my own maybe 8 years ago and that went well.

1st photo is maybe a year ago, 2nd was about 3 years ago maybe more. the 3rd with me on the jeep around 89 and is what the Jeep Original looked like, and what i am going back to once i start working.. yeah i know i Looked cool! last picture is in 96. I was thinking about maybe doing the orange stripes and not the blue, I think it pops a little more. trying to do Oem as much as i can. i want to walk out the door and be the 1st thing I think about jumping into to run around. its sad but i have been lazy the last few year with it and have driven it maybe 30 times. Jeep is in charleston sc and its so damn hot and i am lazy.

thanks again.
scott

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpeg
    IMG_2287.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 11
  • around 1989.jpeg
    around 1989.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 10
  • jeep 1-27-1996.jpg
    jeep 1-27-1996.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 11
Looks like a clean jeep to start with. I know I'm a bit far away (Maryland) but for the things you can't do or don't want to do I run a decent shop and have reasonable prices (not my daily job anymore)

As far as heat is concerned vintage AC makes some great kits and are fairly straightforward for installation.

I did the YJ spring swap as well, i like them, the stock ones are very flat, they ride good I think im going to add a leaf to my front ones because of my V8 weight
1a5e64823077392c3b9fdae5e1cfed6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol!

The heavily debated mod but seldom regreted. Saw it coming. Good luck with that awesome gem!

Well, thought I'd throw out my 2 cents...
There are so many ideas on this I'll add mine.

Shackle reverse = NO. Way to many issues as have been stated above and don't forget cutting the front fenders.
Stock type replacement springs with or without lift = OK. Easiest and most economical but your CJ is still going to ride harsh like it was designed. Flex will not change from stock.
YJ springs = YES (with issues.). More difficult than stock type but superior ride and flex. Much newer design. The there are many ways to go. OME is great but you have to piece a kit together if you buy individual parts or you could go kit form from RRO here.

I'm pretty sure ome has a complete kit just pricey

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Here's what I found c580e832ce6e8b2a5c06838b5a748f64.png

And this if you want to piece it together cheaper
0d918058cec27a35156a9c36a66ed806.png

Those are YJ lift springs which have to be stiffened due to enlarged arc by design. They won’t yield a softer ride than stock CJ springs. I would not recommend lifting their Jeep to anyone not off-roading and only using it on road.

I'm going to argue your ride quality statement Patrick. My current OME heavys with double main springs rides much better than the OEM springs did. I wont argue the second sentence, no lift should ride better than lifted, but there is still many variables. Lift size and probably most important, who made the springs.

It’s a matter of making the investment and seeing it for yourself and in the process, get an unwanted 2.5” of lift. Good luck.

I wonder if ome makes a standard spring or only lift

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks