CJ3a

CJ3a

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
Willys Overland CJ-3A

cj3a-dimentions.jpg
The above image is from The CJ3A Information Page

keats07.jpg

This is Gary Keating's CJ3a
keats06.jpg

The Willys Overland CJ-3A was produced from 1949 to 1953. It was to replace the CJ-2B. The most noticeable difference is the windshield of the 3A has the wipers on the bottom. Willys Overland made other changes to give the driver more room. The driver seat was moved back but it still had a 80 inch wheelbase. It had a taller windshield gave more headroom. All CJ3b's came with a 6 volt electrical system that included a generator. It is a common mod to upgrade to a 12 volt system with an alternator.
1948-willys-cj3a.jpg

montoya1.jpg

Engine
The Willys L134 "Go Devil" engine was used in the CJ-3A. It was a 4 cylinder that produced 60 horsepower and was nicknamed the “L134 "Go Devil"”. While the majority of automotive engines have the valves in the head, this engine was an L-Head design. That meant the valves were in the engine block.

l-head-engine-4907.jpg

go_devil_l134.jpg

The above photo is from Wikimedia Commons

Drive-train
The CJ-3A came with the T90 three speed transmission.
Click here for more info on the T90. -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/manual-cj-transmissions.43554/#post-394889
The transfer case was the Dana 18. Click here for more info on the Dana 18. -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/transfer-cases.43552/#post-394879 This TCase came from the factory with twin shift levers. The rear output is on the passenger side. It is a strong transfer case. Warn made an overdrive for the Dana 18.
The front axle is a Dana 25 with an enclosed steering knuckle.
Originally Willys Overland used the Dana 41 rear axle in the CJ-3A. Starting in 1951 the Dana 44 was used.

Accessories
The CJ-3A was often used on farms. The CJ-3A could be used to plow.
There was a lot of accessories that could be attached to the PTO.

kandkmanualfront.jpg

buzzsaw1.jpg
harrow3.jpg

The above photo is of Jay Newsome's plow from cj3a.info

cj3a_production_numbers.jpg

CJ3A Production Numbers

Prices are from "A Standard Catalog of Jeep" by Patrick Foster

production numbers came from "Jeep, Illustrated Buyers Guide" by Jim Allen

The M38 was the military version of the same jeep. Here is one I saw in Silverton CO. I modified this picture with HDR software.

_44068.jpg

And here is the interior a a CJ3a.

jeep_pic_willys_1948_josey_93.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks