CJ5 Engine Transplant to 350 Chevy ..HELP!

CJ5 Engine Transplant to 350 Chevy ..HELP!

delpowell

Jeeper
Thanks
I have a 73 CJ5 . It had an AMC 304 V8 engine. I am trying to put a Chevy 350 with TH350 automatic replacement engine. (It had a stick). The Transmission is built for the original Transfer Case . I've been watching your show for a while and I would like to know if you guys have a video (that you guys did on the program) that I can purchase.. or maybe, if you know where I can contact anyone you might advise..that I could get some help here. I have a BMW automatic floor shifter that I want to put in as well. This is the first time I have ever attempted something of this magnitude. I love your show! I know this is to comment on the photos but I've looked for somewhere on your site to contact you and am at a loss.

To get the engine in with that particular tranny you may have stretch the wheel base maybe, CJ5 is so short the rear drive shaft will probably have to be shortened and it could cause a steep pinion angle. Ive heard of this being done and seen few here localy but they were all heavily modified and wheelbases were stretched around 6 in 3 in front 3 in back with the engine setting farther forward. Unless there is an adapter that will bring the tcase closer to the tranny, look up Novak adapters .com or advance adapters .com Novak has tons of good info on their site that might benefit your project.

I have a 73 CJ5 . It had an AMC 304 V8 engine. I am trying to put a Chevy 350 with TH350 automatic replacement engine. (It had a stick). The Transmission is built for the original Transfer Case . I've been watching your show for a while and I would like to know if you guys have a video (that you guys did on the program) that I can purchase.. or maybe, if you know where I can contact anyone you might advise..that I could get some help here. I have a BMW automatic floor shifter that I want to put in as well. This is the first time I have ever attempted something of this magnitude. I love your show! I know this is to comment on the photos but I've looked for somewhere on your site to contact you and am at a loss.

I'm guessing you copied that from a post to speed channel or some such?
Thats Ok, it gives us the jist of what you want.
There is a reason no CJ5 came from the factory with an automatic, and the short wheelbase is it.
The drivetrain combo is just too long for a normal stock(ish) CJ5 to have a decent rear drive shaft, and a lift just compounds the problem. Its been tried hundreds if not thousands of times, and for a Jeep thats not set up for a specific thing (I have seen a CJ5 with an auto, but it was a race jeep with many modifications) it just isn't a good idea.
Since this is your first time attempting something like this, may I suggest that you read the info on the Advance adapters site (AdvanceAdapters.com | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters) and the knowledge base at (Novak Jeep Conversions - Home) and gain their knowledge before you dive into this? Then come on back and we will help any way we can to make your dream Jeep come true!

Thank you guy for the info and the addys. I will check them out and see what can be done to get this jeep up and running. I have the novak adapter and this project is turning out to be a challenge but that's ok. I'm in it for the long haul. Thanks again for your prompt input! Some nice guys on this site. Always glad to have another direction to explore!

Why not just step up to an AMC 360 ot 401 and save yourself a lot of grief and money? Its a direct bolt in and as the others have said a CJ5 is too short for an auto.

i just joined this sight and i have a 78 CJ5 i built basically just like you are wanting to do i could probably tell you everything you will have to do

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom