CJ5 gas tank strap?

CJ5 gas tank strap?

Bunky67

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 304 V8 3 speed Trans Fiberglass front end,
Is there sipposed to be a strap to hold the gas tank up or just the skid. Plate?

My 73 has bolts that fasten the corners of the tank to the frame. The skidplate is separate. Not sure about the 77.

Well my tank just came down with the skid plate and there was no strap there, my tank doesn't have holes to mount it to the frame,

I have to order a sending unit so I will have to do more research

Thanks for the reply

Mine has holes in the rear corners that bolt it to the frame and a bracket that hangs down from the crossmember to support the front. Crappy design and why I had to fix a leak in my tank when I bought the jeep.

Mine has holes in the rear corners that bolt it to the frame and a bracket that hangs down from the crossmember to support the front. Crappy design and why I had to fix a leak in my tank when I bought the jeep.

Jasonmark1993 is correct. 2 at the rear corners and one in the middle front. The skid pan had a foam pad that sucked up water and caused the tank to rust from the outside in if you are in salted roads country. Up here that was about 8 years old.

The poly tanks have no mounting holes and the skid pan supports it.

The strap is on the top.

Well after looking I see where the top strap goes. But I don't see only see holes for the end straps on the back side of the skid plate. How do the front of the side straps of mount?

You see the rectangular hole? The "knob" end goes in there and the bolt to the rear.

gedc0003.jpg

Thanks 73cj I thought maybe that was how the middle one went but I wasn't sure

Now what about the 2 outsides one end goes into the rear of the skid plate but where do the front pegs go into the frame or do I need to drill holes ??

Also is there something better then the plastic liner to use between the skid plate and the tank ?

Last edited:
The front goes from the tank side - pokes through the rectangular hole to the outside and just wedges there. Pegs keep it from pulling through. SHouldn't need to drill anything.

I used neoprene between the skid and tank. Just make sure it closed-cell foam type.

..... The skid pan had a foam pad that sucked up water and caused the tank to rust from the outside in if you are in salted roads country. ......

Just a quick note about the foam pad: With the CJ redesign in 1972 Jeep failed to include foam between the bottom of the tank and the skid plate leaving an air space that gave rocks the opportunity to lodge between the tank and the skid plate while wheeling. This resulting in cracks and punctures to the bottom of the tank. I had a 1972 CJ5 and use to keep a bar of soap in the jeep at all times in case of a gas leak while on the trail. A quick rub over the leak with the soap would choke off the drip long enough to get home. By 1973 all CJs came with the foam pad to stop the rocks.

geez I thought that foam pad was something the prior owner did. Mine came with a brand new tank that was leaking at the rear corner. Bolt hole was too close to a little piece of angle iron on the frame and rubbed a hole in it. For now I just left the skid plate off and double nutted the front strap to hold the tank from bouncing up and down. The tank was only about 6 months old and I had to scrape and treat the tank for rust from the foam pad!

I guess you end up with holes in the gas tank either way but believe me the no foam pad way is a lot faster than waiting for it to rust out; I’ll take the pad. Welding a used gas tank of course is a bit tricky without blowing up but it can be done. I did the one in my 72 about six times.

Ok well after reading I found someone using weather striping for the foam on the straps and skid plate. So do I just run a couple of strips on the skid plate for the tank to set on?

The intent of the foam is to tightly fill the space between the bottom of the tank and the skid plate so I’m not sure “strips” of weather stripping is going to last unless they are glued/stuck to the skid plate in a way that dirt/rocks can’t force their way in. I suppose if you only wheel in sand then you might be OK but from my experience mud & rocks pack into the space and with a little time the trouble begins. I would check the phone book (so to speak) and find a commercial foam supplier if one of the jeep mail order shops don’t have it. (You might try Collins Brothers; they carry some of the odd parts) A dense, closed cell foam isn’t cheap but it’s better than a leaking gas tank. Make sure the foam is thick enough to be snug.

When were talking foam are we talking. Styrofoam like building. Material stuff.
Or like from a craft or fabric shop?

Check with a upolstry shop that does boats. All marine shops use closed cell foam.

It should be a single piece so it doesn't shift and fall out over time.

Neoprene can be found on the Net as well.

When were talking foam are we talking. Styrofoam like building. Material stuff.
Or like from a craft or fabric shop?

No Styrofoam. This needs to be a fairly stiff, but pliable neoprene like material.

Why couldn't someone use spray foam after installing the tank?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom