CJ5 Tops

CJ5 Tops

musciab

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ 5, 6 cyl 3 speed, AMC 20 Rear, Dana 30 Front
Ok so I am in the process of getting my jeep on the road. Just about finished with the rear end, need to put on my new p/s gear box and pump and have to wire up my blower motor so I don’t freeze in the am driving to work. Yes this will be my daily driver (1 mile to work and 1 mile back - small town). So I just wanted to do some research after I put the soft top that the PO put on my CJ.

Background: He told me I had a 76 CJ5 ....but my title says 74. I have an AMC20 rear end, Dana 30 front. AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l straight 6. Almost brand new fiberglass tub that he or someone put on and an old *** soft top that is an extremely tight fit.

I put my top on a few weeks ago and with it being a little cold out it was even harder to put on. Small crack in the rear window, all windows are extremely dirty or stained. Seams are a little leaky and zippers are detaching from canvas in some areas.

So here are my questions: Has anyone heard of a hard top for a CJ5 ? Or can you modify a CJ7 hard top to fit a CJ5 . Do manufactures give you dimensions so you can make sure a new soft top will fit before you drop $500? What is my cheapest option seeing as I don’t have a lot of $ to drop into a top. Is it possible to use my current soft top as a pattern to make my own or is a pattern that I can get from someone/somewhere to make it if that was cheaper than getting a new one but would of course be a lot more work. Just some thoughts I ran across and figured I would see what pp had to say.

they still make soft tops for the CJ5 . Check with Bestop in any major retail Jeep outlet.

If you can find one, ACME used to make a nice hard top.
I had one for a while on a '79 I parted.
IMAG0616_zps669f57c2.jpg
IMAG0610_zps18c92d3a.jpg

I too am looking for a cheap way to get a top. Lots of CJ7 stuff out there but not alot on the CJ5 . Whitco tops were bought out and are still avail. but for over 1000.00 it is too steep for me.
I saw article on making a hard top out of foam board and fiberglass that looked interesting, I'll post if I can find the link.

My 73 came with a Meyers hard top from the factory.

They are still around, but that's a lot of weight compared to a soft top. I put a heater under the drivers seat and ditched the hard top. Junk yards have then in junk school buses. Plenty warm and I only run the factory heater of defrost. Works great.

Now maybe a Fiberglas?

A 76 up top will fit but you would need to change the windshield frame and glass.

I am going to use my old "tigertop" as a pattern for a new soft top for our '67 CJ5 . But I have an industrial/upholstery type sewing machine and experiance sewing this kind of stuff. :)
The window material, top material, zippers, can all be purchased from online venders - boat repair shops also carry this stuff. I am planning to re-use the frame supports, but some of mine are bent and need repair as a tree fell on that jeep before we got it. :eek: The real trick to making your own top is not to put the snaps on the top until you are actually fitting it on. In other words - don't just install them where they were on the old top, wait to line up with your existing body snaps.

I also have a full metal hard top for an older CJ5 '59, which is heavy, yes, but so was the fiberglass top I had for my '79 CJ7 . I have a half cab metal top on my '54 CJ3b . (Pics in my gallery)

There is a whole bunch of info on tops on the CJ3b site at this location:
Hardtops on The Jeep CJ-3B Page

:chug:

The key to which top you need (hard or soft) between the 1974 and 1976 CJs is determined by the windshield. The windshield on a 74 is straight up and down from the cowling and wider from side to side than 76; the 76 and up windshields lean towards the back rather than straight up and down. Being that yours has a fiberglass tub who knows. 75 and under CJ5 hard tops are less expensive than 76 & up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom