Cj7 AC assembly to be used as Heater/blower instead?

Cj7 AC assembly to be used as Heater/blower instead?

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
Hey all,
I would like to use the CJ7 stock AC unit as my heater.

Why? Not only do I not have AC but it doesn't get too hot (or doesn't last too long) in WA state. AND I like the look/design of the AC assembly.

Any who, The AC blower has 6 wires. I had three wired to the blower switch and three I was planning on connecting to the resistor.

However, (for simplicity) I was wondering if there was a smaller blower CAGE that could fit on the aftermarket blazer heater blower with a single power wire? As the (PM105 blower cage is too enormous to fit in the AC assembly.) LOL.

Or do you have any suggestions?

As always, Thanks bunches!

Attachments

• CAM09445.jpg
    CAM09445.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 50
I'm not sure how you intend to get heat out of the AC unit, are you going to try and run water through the evaporator core? (it won't work) the tubes are too small.
There is a heat/cool unit made that fits under dash, many vendors sell it.
The fan you have is about the smallest you'll find capable of turning the wheel at any decent speed, and without heating up.
Lance

Hey all,
I would like to use the CJ7 stock AC unit as my heater.

Why? Not only do I not have AC but it doesn't get too hot (or doesn't last too long) in WA state. AND I like the look/design of the AC assembly.

Any who, The AC blower has 6 wires. I had three wired to the blower switch and three I was planning on connecting to the resistor.

However, (for simplicity) I was wondering if there was a smaller blower CAGE that could fit on the aftermarket blazer heater blower with a single power wire? As the (PM105 blower cage is too enormous to fit in the AC assembly.) LOL.

Or do you have any suggestions?

As always, Thanks bunches!

Waste of time-;)
Upgrade your real heater blower unit.
Convert that the AC comp unit into a on-board air compressor.....
LG

I'm not sure how you intend to get heat out of the AC unit, are you going to try and run water through the evaporator core? (it won't work) the tubes are too small.
There is a heat/cool unit made that fits under dash, many vendors sell it.
The fan you have is about the smallest you'll find capable of turning the wheel at any decent speed, and without heating up.
Lance

Hi Captain!

I already purchased a oil cooler assmembly with 1/2" hoses which fits perfectly in the vent assembly where the ac evaporator core once resided.
But I don't know if the AC assembly can handle the heat?

Any ideas on where I can find a larger plastic heater wheel/cage?

Thanks for your help. ;)

Waste of time-;)
Upgrade your real heater blower unit.
Convert that the AC comp unit into a on-board air compressor.....
LG

Hey Lumpy thanks for the response.
Only trouble, I had the junk 76 stock heater box that got thrown out due to being junk. Lol

Every thing is done except all I would need is a larger plastic heater cage. Any ideas on where I could get one that will fit the PM105 blower and cage but is the same size where it attaches to the assembly?

If not, any ideas where I could find a cheap but good later yj heater assembly? I had a compact under dash into too but sold it a while back.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I will keep my options open but since I got everything else done for this setup (except the right cage size plastic housing) I was hoping someone else had this same crazy mod idea. ;)

Best of luck with the install. :notworthy:
Please keep us updated with details.
:chug:
LG

Best of luck with the install. :notworthy:
Please keep us updated with details.
:chug:
LG

Thanks Lumpy!

Hope I can find a large AC blower cage assembly.

If not, perhaps I can try my hand at making a fiberglass one???

If not, I would have to forget and go with stock. :(

Hey jeepers!

Wanted to give you all an update on how converting the stock CJ7 AC assembly to a heater assembly. Just in case other people decide to try it too.

I finished this modification and looks like it will work but will need to reinstall the dash and do a few more things before I can test.

See photos.

Enjoy. And again thanks to ALL of you who tried to give me some advice and help in getting it done. ;)

Attachments

• CAM09751.jpg
    CAM09751.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 143
  • CAM09684.jpg
    CAM09684.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 132
  • CAM09677.jpg
    CAM09677.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 48
  • CAM09652.jpg
    CAM09652.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 89
I forgot to ask.... (hope its not a stupid Q.. And I know I could test the blower but don't want to). :p

Does the blower side vent suck or blow air??? I'm thinking suck air in as that would make sense but not all things make sense. .. So I wanted to ask the community. :)

I ended up using the blower cage/wheel from the CJ7 AC assembly. It fit but required some sanding down part of the plastic edge in the middle that extends quite a ways on the metal "post". (See photos) Then I used a couple of washers as shims and installed the nut to keep the blower motor on the cage.

Attachments

• CAM09679.jpg
    CAM09679.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 43
  • CAM09752.jpg
    CAM09752.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 64
  • CAM09651.jpg
    CAM09651.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 47
Good job! :notworthy:
You first picture in post #9 is the outlet or 'exhaust' that blows the air over the heater core.;)
LG

Good job! :notworthy:
You first picture in post #9 is the outlet or 'exhaust' that blows the air over the heater core.;)
LG

Lumpy thanks for the response. :)

That's very good to know about the "exhaust air" to be blown over the heater core. :notworthy:
I will have to modify it to make it work. ;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks