CJ7 Firewall: How to prevent water entering?

CJ7 Firewall: How to prevent water entering?
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
I was wondering how to possibly seal off my firewall under the dash?

In the past I have put several stereos and CD players in my CJ. Same story everytime, when it rains water seems to be leaking in through the hood vent or somewhere allowing water to enter the dash and I can see it start to leak and run into the floor board.

I know that this is a common problem. I am not concerned about water entering through the top sense it is a soft top. But I want to prevent it from leaking in under the dash.

Any help for this would be greatful.

Thanks

What kind of shape is the windshield frame seal in? Probably leaking through there.

Well I need to check that and see I wanna say it is in decent shape... Would that hood vent right in front of the windshield cause this?

What is that vent anyways?

Well I need to check that and see I wanna say it is in decent shape... Would that hood vent right in front of the windshield cause this?

What is that vent anyways?

That intake is for the outside air for heat and vent. It also has a gasket, and can leak into the jeep. But my experience is that the windshield frame is usually (not allways) the culprit.

What kind of shape is the windshield frame seal in? Probably leaking through there.

X2 on the windshield seal.
Also check the vent drain they get pluged up sometimes.

I always go with a new rubber windshield seal and then put silicone underneath the new rubber and it has done pretty well for me. Now on other jeeps I have seen, the water always finds a way in. Start by putting a hose up and turning it on and finding where it enters and go from there.
T

I was wondering how to possibly seal off my firewall under the dash?

In the past I have put several stereos and CD players in my CJ. Same story everytime, when it rains water seems to be leaking in through the hood vent or somewhere allowing water to enter the dash and I can see it start to leak and run into the floor board.

I know that this is a common problem. I am not concerned about water entering through the top sense it is a soft top. But I want to prevent it from leaking in under the dash.

Any help for this would be greatful.

Thanks
Do the leak check starting low on the side where the cowl panel attaches to the windshield support just below the windshield hinges. Run the water very slowly trickle.
As you look for leaks under the dash have an assistant operate the water hose. Have a grease pen marker so you and the assistant can mark the spots leaking. The Cowl area seam is noted for leaking. I know first had mine is/was (I'm welding the cowl/windshield support Seam. You can order a new cowl panel section that is one piece. It has the windshield support stamped with the cowl to make one solid panel(NO SEAM).
You can order this part from 4x4 Parts | 4x4 Accessories | Jeep - Truck - UTV : Tellico 4x4 Here is the cut paste from the website: Omix-Ada 12029.17 Cowl Top Plate For 1976-86 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler $153.95You'll Find this part under Body Parts under Body Panels. Good Luck with your Restore.
I sure hope this helps. Wilurb

I know, park it in the Sahara

that is the only way I can think of to seal a Jeep from water

umm if you have the same problem i do then its your windshield and leaking into your defroster ducts and on top of your radio.
Been through 3 radios in the past yr so far thank god for 4 yr warranties!

umm if you have the same problem i do then its your windshield and leaking into your defroster ducts and on top of your radio.
Been through 3 radios in the past yr so far thank god for 4 yr warranties!

or maybe you have the same problem he does!:)

you can also buy a cover that goes over the vent in front of the windshield.

Had a very similar issue with an 86 CJ7 quite a few years back. My solution was to buy a cd player that took the environment. My Kenwood played with water dripping out of the cd port.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom