CJ7 vs CJ8 20 gallon fuel tanks

CJ7 vs CJ8 20 gallon fuel tanks

Kansas1

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'82 CJ8
There are several threads here on the CJ8 forum that discuss the interchangeability of the CJ8 and CJ7 20 gallon HDPE (high density polyethylene) fuel tanks. Some claim the tanks should be interchangeable, but no one seems to have actually switched tanks to see. The manufacturer of the CJ7 replacement tank specifically states that it will not fit a CJ8. I'm attempting to replace my leaking HDPE tank with a used one. Trouble is, the used parts dealers who have the used tanks aren't convincingly certain that they were removed from a CJ8 or will fit a CJ8.

The part number on the leaking 20 gallon tank from my CJ8 Scrambler is SF 536 1825. A post on another CJ site gives that part number for a tank that has been removed from a CJ7. A cracked CJ8 tank for sale on eBay is part no. SF 536 1823. Go figure.

Can anyone definitively say whether a CJ7 20 gallon OEM tank will fit a CJ8 and vice versa? Thanks.

I have a 20 gallon tank from a CJ7 in my 8. The only issue I had was the filler and vent hoses. It was a stretch, but they reached. I am not aware of any other issues.

I did buy aftermarket hoses. Just can't remember where I got them from now.

That pretty much clinches it. I just ordered a used OEM tank on eBay from Dave at Mr. CJ's Used Jeep Parts. Dave did some checking reached the same conclusion: a CJ7 poly tank will fit a CJ8. If this proves not to be the case, I will update this post.

By the books the tanks are the same.
The filler and vent hose are different.
Probably length difference as previously mentioned.

Go to a local industrial hose supply place for the fill and vent hose. My 20 gal tank came out of a 7, fit fine. I bought new hoses from 4wd .com(Dorman IIRC) when I put the tank in and they cracked out and started leaking in 2 years.

Make sure the hoses you find are made for fuel etc. Most are for water etc.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom