CJ7 Wide Track Swap

CJ7 Wide Track Swap

FLJeeper

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7, 258 4.2L, T150 Tranny, Dana 20 T-case, Stock Diffs
I just had 33x12.50x15 mounted on my ride, only to find that they rub on the leaf springs when in a full lock turn. After researching, it seems the proper way to solve this problem is to switch to wide track axles. I am wondering if any of you have done this and how hard it would be. What other mods would I have to make in the process?

Last edited:
An axle swap just cause your tires rub a bit is a pretty radical solution. You can always adjust the stops that set your turning radius or , get wheels with the proper backspacing. Yet another option , if your tires are worn is to just go with 10.5 in. wide tires on your new set.

I've read just about everywhere that backspaced wheels and wheel spacers can cause extra stress on wheel bearings and ball joints. I suppose adjusting turn stops works. How drastic do you think that would shorten my turn radius. Is it fairly easy to do? I would like a wider stance, but would also love to find a cheap and temporary solution, to the rubbing before I wear out my tires.

I had to do it on my narrow trac CJ5 . Its not too drastic but it was noticeable. That coupled with a front luchbox locker though really showed up. As a temporary solution its your cheepest way. You turn 2 bolts for free. Small equal incriments till you keep them from contacting the springs.

Then you can work on your wide trac swap. You'll need the shock towers from the wide trac Cj and the spring mounting plates as well. You also should grab the correct shocks as well (82-86). Im not quite sure about the front sway bar.
I suppose adjusting turn stops works. How drastic do you think that would shorten my turn radius. Is it fairly easy to do? I would like a wider stance, but would also love to find a cheap and temporary solution, to the rubbing before I wear out my tires.

Sounds like Pete got it all, I'd grab the swaybar too if you want one.
You should be able to pick up a set of WT's pretty cheap, lots of people up-grade and sell their old ones .

Thanks for the replies. I'll adjust the turn stops, just gotta find the right bolts to turn.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom