Clutch bolts?

derf

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas4spd/D44/9" - In Progress
1984 GW - 360/TF727/NP229/D44/M23 - NP242 swap in progress
1986 J10 - 360/TF727/NP208/D44/D60 - 700R4 upgrade in the works
So I'm getting ready to bolt up the clutch on the 401 for the CJ. I have the flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. I don't have any bolts to attach the pressure plate to the flywheel.

What would be good bolts to use? Grade 5? Grade 8? What about washers?

What did the factory use on the pressure plate?

there is a set of bolts that you can buy from the dealer, hopefully, that is made for the job. They are not just bolts, they are balanced shoulder bolts as I recall. If thats not it there is something that makes them special.:cool:

I just installed my clutch etc and I used a new set of bolts... Advance Auto used to carry these on the shelf "Self Help" isle. AMC will be referenced on the back of the plastic... MR GASKET PART No. 910.... 3/8"-16 threads x 1" in length, Grade 8.
They look like these...
kHjE7cEw63UOkx2XMdPsXasEy14KlmLyckcB_hoe9ewrubDObw.jpg

I just ran out to the garage and found 5 out of 6 of my old bolts... lock washers are missing, I probably used them on something else.

Last edited:
I just installed my clutch etc and I used a new set of bolts... Advance Auto used to carry these on the shelf "Self Help" isle. AMC will be referenced on the back of the plastic... MR GASKET PART No. 910.... 3/8"-16 threads x 1" in length, Grade 8.
They look like these...
kHjE7cEw63UOkx2XMdPsXasEy14KlmLyckcB_hoe9ewrubDObw.jpg

I just ran out to the garage and found 5 out of 6 of my old bolts... lock washers are missing, I probably used them on something else.
hhmmm...Now that I think about it, I think Im running plain-jane grade 8 bolts. Just removed my clutch a few weeks ago and they were typical off the shelf grade 8's, nothing special.

Not sure I'd recommend it, but FWIW, nothing was loose after several thousand miles. dont know if I had a balance issue, it ran smooth.

hhmmm...Now that I think about it, I think Im running plain-jane grade 8 bolts. Just removed my clutch a few weeks ago and they were typical off the shelf grade 8's, nothing special.

Not sure I'd recommend it, but FWIW, nothing was loose after several thousand miles. dont know if I had a balance issue, it ran smooth.

Are you using the 3 finger pressure plate? I know that some pressure plates used a pin to locate the pressure plate on the flywheel (I haven't seen them personally but I have seen them in pictures)... the 3 finger pressure plate should use these shouldered bolts to help eliminate any movement that could cause the unit to shift and become out-of-balance.

Are you using the 3 finger pressure plate? I know that some pressure plates used a pin to locate the pressure plate on the flywheel (I haven't seen them personally but I have seen them in pictures)... the 3 finger pressure plate should use these shouldered bolts to help eliminate any movement that could cause the unit to shift and become out-of-balance.

Nope. Just a a regular multi fingered pressure plate. I did go out and take a look at the bolts, and noticed they are somewhat similar to the ones pictured, only the shoulder is considerably shorter. Nothing you're going to find in a Napa bolt-bin.

I checked out Advance Auto and the other places in town. No dice on the Help section.

It's ok. I've ordered some ARP bolts for a slightly different application that I think should work.

If not let me know, I may have some extras here, and I'll be in the city for the weekend!

It's that little shoulder under the head that makes all the difference.:cool:

If not let me know, I may have some extras here, and I'll be in the city for the weekend!

Well, thanks for the offer but I'm up at my folks' place in Iowa for the weekend. I won't know if they work until I get back early next week.

Well, they will be here if you need them...Merry Christmas! :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom