clutch issues

clutch issues

1986cj7

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 258, t-176 4-speed, d-300, moser one piece axle in back in amc 20,G2 4.10 gears front and back, detroit truetac front and back,G2 4340 chromoly front axles in a d-30, 4" rough country lift, 33" tires
My clutch now when pushed in makes a clattering and grinding noise. It has shuttered for a while when taking off. When I had the 2.73 gears in but went away when 4.10 gears where put in. Thought is was just to high geared. But it started shuttering a little and now when the clutch is depressed there is a clatter and grinding. I've tried adjusting the clutch but hasn't helped. Now If you put the clutch in and try to shift into first or any forward gear it will not go into gear or grind. Only if tring to put in rev. it does grind. Does this sound like a bad clutch and pressure plate and or throw out bearing. Just wanted some advice before tearing apart.:( I hope it is a clutch issue and not a Transmission issue. I just replaced the Transmission lub with gl-4 had gl-5 in it for awhile and found out was wroung fluid. Hope running the wroung fluid didn't screw the syncros. up. Any thought or advice will be aperciated!

Sounds like your clutch is toast. Disc, pressure plate and release bearing. Your flywheel may als need machining.

Sounds like your clutch is toast. Disc, pressure plate and release bearing. Your flywheel may als need machining.

Ditto

The shutting is probally chatter. Glazed disk.

The clatting is a shot throwout bearing.

Just get a clutch kit -disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Get the flywheel ground. (resurfaced)

Not that hard a job. Driveshafts, shifters. You don't need to split the Transfer Case and tranny. Have a buddy help lift it back in. Check for oil on the flywheel. It may be a leaking rear main seal. That's not hard either.

If it's dry, leave it along.

I'm noy

Ditto

The shutting is probably chatter. Glazed disk.

The clattering is a shot throwout bearing.

Just get a clutch kit -disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Get the flywheel ground. (resurfaced)

Not that hard a job. Drive shafts, shifters. You don't need to split the Transfer Case and tranny. Have a buddy help lift it back in. Check for oil on the flywheel. It may be a leaking rear main seal. That's not hard either.

I'm not surprised you worre the disk with 2.73 gears.

did you replace the pilot bushing when you replaced the clutch
I haven't replaced the clutch yet I ordered it yesterday and will not be in till monday. This weekend I will be pulling Transmission . out and replace the mount while I'm in there. Now I do have a 4" lift with Transfer Case drop kit, could this lowering of the Transfer Case caused the clutch to get out of elighenment making it go out? Silly question since the drop kits have been out for so long, just wondering.

Ditto

The shutting is probably chatter. Glazed disk.

The clattering is a shot throwout bearing.

Not that hard a job. Drive shafts, shifters. You don't need to split the Transfer Case and tranny. Have a buddy help lift it back in. Check for oil on the flywheel. It may be a leaking rear main seal. That's not hard either.

I'm not surprised you worre the disk with 2.73 gears.
Yeah the 2.73 were way to high for 33" tires but thats what the po had in and on it when I bought it and it took awhile to save up the funds to do all the axle upgrades I wanted to do in one shot.

I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if replacing your clutch and throw-out bearing did the trick... I am having the exact same issue right now. Mine doesn't do it all the time, but occasionally at a stop light I will push the clutch in and I hear clatter. I also get a bit of studder when releasing the clutch in 1st gear sometimes.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$85.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom